Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

should i gain weight?

right now im 25, 6'3 and weight 154. i have herniated disc l4-5 and s1. i look very skinny and have a bit of muscle, but currently i CAN't workout. just do daily walks. but I'm even constipated because i lack appetite. i do eat healthy, i try to get atleast 2,000 daily(i don't know if this is a lot for a guy like me) , but i do like 3-4 hours of walking daily and probably nothing else. should i gain weight maybe to get a bit of bf up and protect my disc? i want to know how many calories i need to maintain my weight, but its so hard -.- 

also, which foods you guys recommend for anti-inflammatory thanks
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,790
    Steven7

Below is a link to our Library of articles. There are very informative articles on diet and nutrition.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,290
    Man I can tell you at 6'4 I would look way to skinny at that weight and can imagine your BMI is way to low for your age and ht.

Are meds to blame for lack of appetite? And that level of walking, is that recommended by your doctor, seems like could be overkill if these herniations are new.  For you all those questions need a doctor to answer, but physical therapy in general for injury is to return function, mobility, flexibility, structure stability around damaged area and just walking may not be the recipe for success for your injury.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • thanks mem! i will look the sites for sure~ 

to itsautonomic. hello! well before the herniated disc, I was a bodybuilder and weighted 180, but when I herniated the disc i went into depression and basically lost appetite and ended up here. Im no skinny fat, but i did lost a lot of muscle. currently im 3 months after herniated disc. no sign on sciatic nerve pain (already did emg and was negative) and im not taking meds since it doesnt even hurt right now. but since im scared to make it worse im doing nothing except walking to stay active. i tried stretching piriformis, hams, glutes, and all i do is hurt myself by flaring it up. i tried plank and i flare it up. so i decided pt to teach me how to do them correctly (i went today for my first pt but was massage, electric stuff, but no exercises). do you think 2000 calories for our weight, height is low to maintain weight? im thinking of just upping calories to try and maintain a healthy life. currently at 2000 i feel like cold, no energy, sleepy and constipated. but all i see online is people who are extremely active, exercise 5-6 times a week and maintaining at 2200-2300 and well im not even active and maintain at 2000? it seems like too much because of that. every tdee calculator says i maintain at 2300 even sedentary. i just want to get to my before activitys and actually be able to lift weights again. and i think eating at a deficit might not help on recovery. 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,290
    Steven7, oh ok you probably maintained a pretty low body fat all the time then as a body builder.  Man I am not sure about the caloric intake, but I can say bad pain can affect so many vitals in the body and even on a sub clinical level.  

One thing I would suggest with the cold, no energy, and sleep symptoms is just to rule out the thyroid it can affect all those things. And not saying you were , but if you were not natural bodybuilder and you stopped taking "boosters" during downtime that has alot of bad side effects to. Not saying this was case just a suggestion, had a friend in similar issue except injury was to his knee.

The 2000 calories you are getting , are they healthy foods?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement