Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

foot cramping

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Stenosis
hiya I have a question more like an inquiry I have stenosis in my lumbar L-3-L-4-L-5 and S-1 I have noticed that ever since I have had stenosis that I have been getting severe cramping on the bottom of my right foot ever so often literally I have no true words on how it feels but all i know it is that when it happens its that really sharp pain and it lasts anywhere from 5 minutes or less.

Has anyone else gotten this type of foot cramping with their spinal stenosis

• Yes -I have this.
    It occurs intermittently ,usually at nite.
    It is secondary to nerve root irritation....
  • hmmm...never heard of that as a symptom before. I've had foot cramps for what seems like forever and don't think it has anything to do with my c-spine issues. Try drinking more water in the afternoon and evenings and stay away from alcohol. That seems to help me.
  • I also encounter this frustrating element of the spinal saga. I have had this going on now for about 9 months and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Along with the tingling and numbness of my right foot, I also get these herendous cramps and sometimes I swell up in my right foot. Has that happened to anyone else?
  • I also suffer from this, but its not caused by my back - its caused by my severely pronated feet (severely flat feet).

If you have not done so already, I suggest you go to a podiatrist and have your feet checked out. I did, and when she diagnosed my flat feet and prescribed me custom orthotics the cramping problem has virtually disappeared.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I used to get them very badly, mostly in the evening while lying down. Since my surgery last Oct. (see posting), no foot cramps!
  • About the feet cramping, oh, yes! I was going through chemotherapy about 4 years ago when I suddenly couldn't feel my feet or parts of my lower legs. I had numbness in the toes, tingling, cramping, couldn't stand for more than so min. without searing pain. I was dx then as chemo related neuropathy. Pain kept getting worse, blah, blah, now dx is spinal stenosis, and waiting for surgery. Feet can be an issue, wish I would've had the problem investigated 4 years ago!
  • I also have foot and ankle pain. It is actually what finally made my decision to have my back surgery. The foot doctor I went to for the ankle pain told me he couldn't help me until I got my back taken care of. Well, I am 5 mo post surgery and most of my foot pain is gone. But the top of my right foot and ankle has started bothering me to the point of causing a rather bad limp again. The type of shoe I wear sems to aggravate it. Wish I knew what to do about it. I will ask my NS at my 6 mo check up