Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery and keep waking up choking

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had my surgery and they replaced 2 discs and placed pins in 3 of the vertabrae and cleaned it all up in there. They also put a metal plate in there to secure it all to. They went in fr4om my neck and now I keep choking and am unable to sleep because I can't breathe very well. Is this common? Do es any one have any suggestions? I had so much trouble the night of surgery that they called the rapid assessment team because my esophogus closed up and they put a small tube in my neck to help and gave me shots for the swelling. They finally took the tube out on Thursday and I goit to come home Saturday but, I am not sure if I am ready to be home. I keep coughing up blood and choking on blood. How long am I supposed to do that? They sent me home with a nebulizer to help with breathing treatments. I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY RIGHT SIDE BEING NUMB. I feel like I am going backwards instead of forwards. PLease help :( Thanks, Donetta

• First that doesn't sound right. but of course I am not a medical professional. Did you have a drainage tube inside the incicison for all that yikky stuff to come out while you were in??? They removed mine they day I left and would drain it during the day and night when it got full.
    I did have a feeling of doom of not breathing when I was in but that was the first night. And of course the very sore throat for a week.

I would call your dr today and find out why this is happening and if it should be happening.
    I cannot even imagine what your going through right now.
    Let us know how you make out. You will be in my thoughts!!!

• Yes, I had a drainage that they removed in the hospital, but they also placed a tube in my throat to help me breathe and to suction out after I had an oxygen saturation of 52 and they placed me on oxygen through the tube. I will call Dr. Smith (neuro-surgeon) today to find out what is going on now that I know that it is not normal. Thanks, Donetta
  • That is definately not normal for a cervical fusion. Either phone your doc now or go to the emergency room hun, get it looked into. I'm not trying to scare you but I know I had NOTHING like that when I had my fusion, especially the bleeding.

Christina :)
  • I'm glad you are calling the dr. Keep us posted and hang in there.
  • Also still having the numbness, mine was gone when I awoke from surgery. I mean I still get it once in awhile but it does not last. Only if I sleep wrong, or type to much.
    Mabye something (like the hardware is doing something) but of course no one will know that till tests are done.

Iv been thinking about this since I typed to you. So please let us know as soon as your able whats going on.

Lots of hugs to you!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • go get checked out at the ER. That really does sound serious and if you were to go to sleep and choke without being able to get air in it would be very serious. Why did your oxygen saturation fall down to 52?
  • The night after surgery swelling in my neck had swollen completely around my esophagus and was causing it to close for lack of room, therefore cutting down on my ability to breathe properly. Which is when the rapid assesment team called a code on me and I got dizzy and went to sleep.
    I called the dr and was only able to get through to the nurse. She told me it was because when they intabated me when my sats dropped that they probably scratched my throat and to take some benadryl or sudafed and this should stop the bleeding and drainage and that I can expect some discomfort because when my sats dropped they were not able to be very careful as they were trying to get the tube in before my airways completely closed up. ~X( My regular surgeon is out on Tuesdays and so I left a message on his voice mail and again I will stay up all night since I am afraid to sleep (|:

I have not gotten better but the Dr said sometimes it takes time for the spinal cord to heel and since I had mine deprived of fluid for so long it was going to have to regenerate and replace the dead part of my spinal cord. I still have one more surgery in about 6 weeks and it scares me because this was supposed to be the easiest one to handle. :<
  • doesnt sound normal to me 8} . Ask to speak to your doctor directly or if they refuse then go to the emergency room. Your doctor sounds like an a**hole if he wont communicae with him yourself, especially when youre under such distress X( . Call them again and push the matter.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)