Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3-weeks post L4-5 fusion and lami - can't sleep

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am wondering if this is related to being off the Vicodin. That and just a lower level of physical activity from being home recuperating. Any thoughts, recs would be appreciated. Thanks.

• I think this must be a spiney thing cause I havent been able to sleep good since my surgery either unless I take sleeping pills and even then not that well.

Christina >:D<
  • I am almost 7 months out from my PLIF & still need a sleeper @ night & still can't make it more than about 5 hrs b4 waking up...like you Christina, even w/ a pill it's not what I'd call "quality" sleep...but it IS sleep...

Just the "nature of the beast" I think....remember: our entire central nervous system was "invaded"...this is NOT ordinary surgery...my doc said figure a whole year or more until making any judgments about any of it...

Ask for a sleeping pill, if you don't take one already. That can help you get over the edge & catch some deeper zzz's....sleep lets you rest so you can heal...it's important to be able to sleep. It improves as you get better...but as I said, I still don't "sleep thru" the night like I did b4 all this.

Take care!

• It must be a combination of different activity level and medications (some of these actually list insomnia as one of the side effects).

I find that taking 100 mg. of melatonin an hour before bedtime helps. If that does not work, I take some Tylenol PM or 1/2 tablet of Alprazolam (sedative).
    For really bad sleepless nights I save some Restoril. That always does the trick.

• I was just thinking the Melatonin too - I'm off pain pills in a few days and am thinking I am only going to survive it if I get some good sleep. I'm sending my oldest boy out to get me some so I am ready.
  • Kinpain, I had to answer---that stuff is simply the best!
    It's an OLD one--been around since the 60's & is a benzo (same med family as Valuim)---just works so nicely...

No AM grogginess, just a nice decent sleeper that gently "turns off the lights"... I only need the 7.5 pill, but it comes in 15 & 30 mgs too...

Few people know about it...I agree...it sure does the trick!

ZZZZZZZZZZ! to you!

~ Lakeside
  • I've been using Ambien but I find that my body has gotten use to it so it doesnt do what its suppose to anymore. I try Lunesta but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth that stay all day and makes everything I eat and drink taste disgusting.

Christina :)