Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Herniated Disc surgery question


        I have severe symptoms of cramps in the buttock/leg and sciatia from past three weeks, After doing my MRI ,  i have large herniated disc, which doesn't let me stand sit or walk for even a min.  Pain is reduced since three weeks, but conditions remain same. Not able to do still do basic stand , sit or walk for even a min. Doctor has suggested for surgery. L5 S1 disc herniation which is large. 

Should i wait few more weeks to take the surgery, just wondering if i can recover so that i need not have surgery. or should i go to surgery as soon as possible. 





  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,353

    Hello Harry

    There are no medical professionals on this forum site. Therefore no one is capable or permitted to give any medical advice of any kind.
    This is a discussions between you and your surgeon but totally your decision.. Ask a lot of questions first then decide.

    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Yes i understand, i just wanted to get the opinions and decide.

  • advertisement
  • Depending on how bad it is effecting your life. I'm in the same boat as you, severe hernia L4-L5. I can't stand straight, I can't stand for more then a few minute because I struggle to hold myself up. Sitting is not an option, it's so painful. I can only lay on my right side, which is still extremely uncomfortable but if I turn on my left side the pain is so bad I become almost paralized. Finally after having the MRI and seeing a surgeon surgery was really my only option for full relief of this. I didn't even second guess it and chose to do the surgery. I work from home, which I'm very thankful and lucky my job allows me to do. I was working in my bed instead of at my desk for a couple months but the pain became too much and I had to go out on disability leave. I'm scheduled for surgery August 2nd, I'm terrified yes. This is my first surgery ever. But my quality of life will not improve if I don't get it done. I can't live like this any longer. Even the days leading up to my surgery are pure agony. It's like my body knows I'm having surgery and wants to give me no relief in pain to change my mind. I don't sleep most nights due to the pain. I nap during the day. My fiance has to do EVERYTHING for me. I hate depending on him. It's definitely caused a strain in our relationship. I say from my personal experience if you have it as bad as I do, surgery is a good choice. But if you want to wait a few weeks and see how the pain is, there's nothing wrong with that also. 

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,518


    Sandra gave you a statement about we do not have any medical professionals, therefore, we can not give, nor can any member provide medical advice.

    You say you are asking for opinions.   Honestly, since you describe you pain as being severe, cant sit or walk, what you need is medical advice and that can come only from your doctor.

    Depending on your doctors rationale and IF you have any nerve impingement, then waiting really should not be an option.   Once a nerve is damaged, its damaged, its not going to re-generate.  If the impingement is also severe, then surgery should be done sooner than later.

    Again, no one here can tell you this.  Having a large disc herniation by itself does not always mean surgery.  There is a MSU classification that takes more than size into consideration.  Its the Zone  (a,b,c) and Grade (1,2,3) that really means the difference.

    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Harry1188, I'd have to agree with Gabriellax92, Iwas in a similar position in that the pain was so debilitating and impacting on everything I wanted and needed to do. 

    There are good reasons the doctors run us through the standard treatment cycle, physiology/PT, injections and pain management...and that's because it can work and these surgeries aren't anything to be taken lightly.

    Talk with your doctors and surgeon to understand what specifically is going on in your case and what and why (there are a number of possible surgeries, if it comes to that) they recommend what they do. In my case microD was ruled out due to sponylolisthesis and where the impingement was occurring meant TLIF and partial laminectomy....we can often have similar symptoms but our doctors have to put everything together to come up with the best options.

    Regardless of your decision, you will question it over and over again and that seems to be normal. Having said that it is still your decision, taking advice into account, and you will do what's right for you at the time. .

    I'm currently 4.5 months post op and it was the right thing for me.

    Take care

  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.