Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

"Have you quit smoking?"

Yvonne1503YYvonne1503 Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Stop Smoking
When does a smoker become an ex-smoker? It has been 48 days since I last smoked a cigarette. Why is it that when someone asks me if I have quit smoking, I still say “I’m trying"? At what point will I say “Yes, I quit smoking”? It's almost like I'm giving myself an out in case I relapse.
advertisement

Comments

• If you've made it 48 days, then I think its safe to say that you are now an ex-smoker. However, you will always be a nicotine addict. As long as you never forget that, and never let the drug back into your system, then you'll remain an ex-smoker.

• For me, it's actually very easy to quit smoking. The hard part is to quit for more than an hour. So, I'd say you are now an ex-smoker! And my hero! Congratulations! <:P <br />
    Jeaux
  • advertisement
  • Here is my 5 cents on that.

Ex-smoker? Not when someone tells you X days of non-smoking. Do you feel like you are an ex-smoker yet Yvonne? I do. I'm 275 days in. Never really thought of which day I decided that.

Quit. Stop. I have stopped smoking. Not sure I quit though. I'm a drug addict and my drug of choice is nicotine. 1 cigarette and I'm done in. Every day I make an effort not to smoke. That is 1 more day that is a good thing.

Call yourself whatever you want. Use terms like ex-smoker, stop, and quit how you see fit. Just keep on doing what you are doing and leave the cigarettes alone. That is all that counts.

Good luck you ex-smokers who stopped and want to quit =D>

• Thanks guys for your responses. I really appreciate the support.
  • advertisement
  • Bellisima!!!
    I am very proud of you <:P <br />When us SH girls take our cruise, you'll have enough dough to get the deluxe suite with a veranda !!

• Any work great.
    I'm trying isn't QUIT. I'm a non-smoker, but I'm feeling much better now!
    1 year 2 months. Damn sounds like I'm a non-smoker now.... <:P <br />
    Just don't ask where the money has gone then I'll freak out and fall off the Camel wondering where its hiding 8}
  • I had a dream last night I smoked an ENTIRE cigarette!!!! But I remember feeling so guilty. Go figure.

• Both my wife and I quit on the same day, doesn't seem like that long ago, but it's been over 6 years now! I'll never forget the date: July 27, 2002. Woo Hoo! <:P <br />
    We signed up for hypnosis and I was a huge skeptic. I don't know how much of an effect it actually had, but both of us haven't touched a cigarette since. It was a group setting and at a break the hypnotist told everyone to smoke if they want because it will be the last. So we did -- smoked our last cigarette during the break & tossed our half-full packs on the way back inside! Ha! In all seriousness, I can say that we were both just "done" with smoking and I think that mindset had the biggest influence on us. Also, I'm pretty sure if both of us didn't quit at the same time we'd have failed.
    Good luck to all, it can be done!!!
    Jay
  • My personal feeling on when you become an ex-smoker is when you dont feel the need to smoke. In my experience and from friends experience the cravings never fully go away. My father in law quit smoking 40 years ago roughly. He still gets cravings once in a while. When you get the place where you dont think about smoking and dont feel like you HAVE to HAVE a cigarette and you only have the occasional craving, and you still dont smoke. Then I would call you an ex-smoker.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.