Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Revision of Hardware C4 thru C7 Anterior & Posterior CDF Surgery- anyone else had this surgery

47 yo with prior ACDF C4-5, C5-6 & C 6-7 severe DDD, Moderate to Severe Cervical Stenosis

I just found out i have a major problem from my 2015 ACDF that is effecting C4 thru C7 fusions. Neurosurgeon said I need both anterior and posterior hardware revision- C 4-5 screw was placed in disc space not In bone. In addition cervical stenosis has worsened and pain eith terrible muscle spasms between shoulder blades since 2015 surgery of screw mishap has been unbearable. I HAVE A NEW SPECIALITY NEUROSURGEON AND UNFORTUNATELY HE IS HAVING TO CLEAN UP THE MESS MADE BY ANOTHER SURGEON...

Hoping there may be another member thst could share what to expect Bc I am VERY TERRIFIED. Surgeon said this will be a long (6 hrs +) and painful surgery

Thank you in advance

Teresa
advertisement

Comments

• MetalHeadMMetalHead Posts: 35
    edited 11/06/2017 - 12:03 AM

Wow Lifetime! 

I'm sorry you've had to endure so much pain for so long. And  that it was an error in procedure that caused it, so unfair!  I also had ACDF c4-c7 in Jan 2017, but I'm considered a psuedoarthrosis or failed union and am looking at a posterior revision as well. I don't have much to offer as far as information, but I can offer support. I am a 45 yo female with initial c6-c7 disc rupture at age 26, and have suffered tremendous pain most of my life. With the other 2 ruptures happening somewhere along the way.  I also  have DDD with a long list of other back issues.  I was looking to address those after a successful ACDF, So it stinks having to redo what has already been repaired once. Anyway, I'll be following along your thread as I'm interested in other people's experiences with posterior revision. Much luck to you!

• Lifetime1990LLifetime1990 Posts: 3
    edited 11/06/2017 - 6:57 AM

Oh my METALHEAD- You have been thru a very difficult & painful time that should have been the best adult years.

Life changing to say the least! We definitely do alot of fighting to get thru each day .  This revision I'm told is minimum of 6 months recovery, did your doctor discuss your recovery time?

My surgery is scheduled for December 13th but doc trying to find more OR time to do sooner. I just begged for Thanksgiving with my family ecspecially my 3 grand children & maybe by Christmas I will be more comfortable

Again very sorry you are having to go back thru another surgery as well :(

What exactly is peudoarthrosis? Need to ask my husband if that was the term he used regarding C5 vertebra (that is level where screw is in disc space) 

Have a great Monday!

Teresa
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,047

Lifetime1990
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I am so sorry you are having to go through this again. We welcome you to join the December Surgery Buddies, there you wili meet other members that will have surgery also. This is a very good support group and grows as the month gets closer.
    You can also go to the search box at the top right of the page, key in acdf cervical, and scroll down to Spine-Health. There you will find other discussion on this topic.

Peudoarthrosis is the movement of bone at the location of a fracture due to inadequate healing.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial for more information.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Please take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you very much! Will review other forums

Teresa
  • Peudoarthrosis is the term he used regardimg wrong placement of screw from prior ACDF. So I assume this is still considered failed fusion . Appreciate your clarification ( dummy me should have looked it up on Google) LOL

Teresa
  • advertisement
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 293

Facing posterior redo of c5 thru c7 due to pseudoarthrosis also. I had my ACDF dec 2015. Pushing it off and away until there is no other option. Terrified! Mine fused but fused wrong so there is movement causing pain. New surgeon has me doing myofacial therapy and traction for 6wks and then I don't know what else. I did this last year for 5mths and it didn't help so this is just an exercise in futility. I will be following you to see how you do and good luck!

Julie 

• Lifetime, 

so nice that you get to spend thanksgiving with the grands.. I'm jealous, no grands for me yet!  

I don't have a plan of treatment yet, I am waiting on a call from my surgeon today (getting kinda late in the day, so probably not happening, I will have to call tomorrow and hound him, I guess). 

I was told by the PA that posterior revision is a grueling procedure, but could result in a painfree outcome, so I'm totally willing to do it.  I can't live like this and for the first 5-6 months post op, I was living with less pain than I've had in 20 years! It was amazing! I am actually in more pain now than I was preop. So I want the revision, I can't imagine being in worse pain than I'm in right now, although I'm sure it's a possibility, it's worth the risk to me. 

PA also suggested i might be a candidate for DTrax, it's a very minimally invasive surgery. My understanding is they go in posteriorly and put "shims" in the facet joints and look to get fusion there.  It's a fairly new procedure, and I'm hearing mixed results, but I said I'd do it tomorrow if I was a candidate. 

And I see that psuedoarthrosis was explained already... just a medical word for non fusion. :) 

Enjoy your thanksgiving, I'm sure the upcoming surgery date is a little daunting, but I'm hoping for you that it is successful and you can look forward to a painfree (reduced pain) future! 

• Julie -Joowee40

I totally understand your fear and my heart goes out to facing this surgery. The anterior was scary but as u know THE UNKNOWN  posterior scares me most. My neurosurgeon was honest and said this will be a BEAR... that in itself made my fear worse.

Prayers coming your way Julie

Teresa

Teresa
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 293

Teresa-mine said the same exact thing which I already knew from reading enough stories on here for years. That's why I started sweating when he uttered the words. Let me know when they tell you your next steps.

• Joowee40

Pre op appt is December 7th and surgery is in 2 weeks- December 13th. I am so terrified but no other option for any relief in the future. Also the screw has been in disc space ever since 2015 surgery per 1 week post op CT & MRI that was done but I was only told idk why your having such difficulty with post op pain. Radiologist didn't catch issue in his report either as  I found out a week ago after picking up discs and reports to take to  NS at next appt. So i am not crazy after all. Living in pain has redefined my entire life!!!

From what i have seen and heard, surgery statistics are fairly successful after recovery period. I am praying things go smoothly as possible.

Once i am able to reconnect with my cell phone post op, I will post update.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers bc i sure need them 

Teresa
advertisement