Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

neck pain after surgery?

Anyone with long fusions experience neck pain? I am 5 months out from T3-sacrum fusion. I only have the cervical spine to work with. I assume this is common for many scoliosis surgeries. But lately my neck is killing me. If I drive or look down to write or work I only have about 15 minutes before serious pain kicks in. I’m hoping this is a phase and will pass but I’m extremely worried that this is permanent. 

Noreen 

advertisement

Comments

• hi Noreen, I have neck pain down the left side of my neck and then it travailed down my left arm. plz talk to a doctor, could ne neck or shoulder, could just be something out of place, don't hit the painc button just yet, I had films of neck and shoulder now, but going back on the Mobic has really helped the pain, pluse during a massage my shoulder had a huge crake during it that the massage thyapist said wow she had never had that happen before, but that also helped to cut the pain in half. I don't think its normal, but films and a doc can say for sure whats going on..good luck keep me informed

• Thank you xrobynx!! It does seem more painful on the left side for me too. I had stopped the percocet but have some left so am taking it sparingly! I will give it another couple of days and then call the doc.

N

• advertisement
  • Hi Xrobynx just wanted to share that my reintroducing the gabapentin (is mobic a nerve med?) has helped greatly. I would like to get massages but I have an HMO and am not sure if it is included. My PT seems to think I'm finished needing his help!! But today I am not taking pain meds and my neck pain is better. That left shoulder pain is still the worst. I wonder why...Oh and I meant to ask you if you've had xrays recently. Do you think your scoliosis still has a rotation?

• I have to ask about the rotation cuz I am not sure but I still have a 20 degree curve on the bottom, s1 to L5. gabapentin is a nerve pain med Mobic is an anti inflamitory. I can not take gabapentin, tried it but I hated the feeling stone 24/7 so I stoped it. if that is helping, it make me think that you have a pinched nerve in your neck, so, your fusion is t1 to s1??

• Yes, I agree I feel a bit foggy on this med but it's nice to be able to walk without a ton of foot pain. My fusion is T3-sacrum and I saw a PA who thinks it may be a screw (maybe at T3) protruding just slightly out of the vertebra. My hope is that it's just muscle pain. The muscles are just so tight on the shoulder and the neck area. I am having to take a percocet a day lately. There is a huge difference in pain relief between percocet and ibuprofen!!

I will try a massage and hope it helps. Oh and pain does travel down right arm too. Let me know if you find out if it's a pinched nerve or something else. Happy New Year!!!

Noreen

• advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

hi guys!  Happy new year!

so my scoliosis still has a rotation to it too....not a lateral curve anymore, but they couldn't reduce the rotation all the way.  and that means that my left bar, which is an inch taller than my right actually can act as a bit of a lever....if i look down (like at my cellphone....guilty.....sigh) for too long i will start to get nerve pain around my left ribs and into my left arm and from the best i can figure out, the bar sticks up and i pull my muscles right over the end of it, which pulls on the top of the muscles in my neck and yanks on my cervical vertebrae.  if i straighten up for a while and try to get everything into neutral position again it gets better, but once i zap those nerves they can stay angry for a day or two.  so my mental note to self is to stop doing that...i'm a slow learner.  

i had massage yesterday.  it did really help me again!

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

advertisement