Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bored to death? Try Genealogy

I stopped researching my family genealogy about 12 years ago, but I am so bored.

I went on-line, my how things have changed!  Much better on-line search tools and sources.  More records on line, easy to research, no need to leave the house much or at all unless you want something from a book.

So, I've been working on my genealogy as much as possible.  Deleted my old tree, readded the information to the new tree, and am now able to add my sources on line to "prove" family information.  Contacted my oldest sister, who is depressed after the death of her husband, got her researching again.  Have already been in contact with a third cousin, twice removed.  Lol.  Busy, busy, busy.

Lost in all those records on the computer, the time flies by and I'm rarely bored.  Try it, you might like it.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,061

That is so funny you brought this up!!
    My husband just starting genealogy a couple of weeks ago. It has kept him so busy and he loves it as he's finding not only relatives but their stories. And keeps him from being bored during all of the snow days.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  •  I'm glad he likes it!  I think it's the perfect solution to keeping busy.  I barely notice the passage of time.

• advertisement
  • edited 01/18/2018 - 9:33 AM

Memerainbolt,

How is your husband's family research going?

I started adding pictures to my tree.  I noticed a distance relative posted a picture of my grandfather's headstone on line from WWI and it just so happened that I have a picture of granddad in his WWI uniform so I posted it.   The relative has added it to his tree.

I have also started to write stories to go along with the pictures, so thanks for that ideal.  Are you getting involved in research at all, or is it just your husband's "thing"?

Winter is so boring, so glad I restarted genealogy research again.

• Something a little different than the genealogy I did one of those DNA test they advertise on TV.  The results were very interesting to say the least.  I never knew my mother or any of her family background except that her father was supposedly 100% Cherokee which would make me 1/4. Well when the results came back I have no Native American blood at all.  My sister still insists that our grandfather was native American, I told her that grandmas husband may have been but who ever fathered our mother (mailman?) definitely wasn't.

I have corresponded with some 2nd to 5th cousins that I never knew about until the DNA results put us in touch.  Very interesting stuff.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • HI davrunner,

Thanks for posting, I am waiting for the results of my DNA test, I had it in January so won't get it back until March.  We too have the "you are American Indian story" in my family, supposedly Kickapoo.  I also want to know.

It seems to be the perfect solution for isolated chronic pain patients who are bored out of their minds.  So much research is on line now so it is easier, and I really get engrossed in it.  The time just flies, and I am no longer bored.  So I watch my tv programs, play my comuter game, and the rest of the time-genealogy.  

It also lessens my chronic pain, the more my mind engages on something else, the less time it spends on thinking about how much I hurt.  When the pain does get a bit high, I switch back to my recliner, heating pad, and tv.  It's working for me.  I think it will work for others.

• advertisement
  • The genealogy is going well.  I'm up to 400 people and have found some real surprises as the skeletons come out of the closet.

It has certainly taken care of my overwhelming boredom, and I watch less mindless tv which is good.  Hopefully this summer, I can get a lap size computer, iPad is dying, so I can go to the library and solve some more mysteries.  All the answers are not on the computer, unfortunately.  

advertisement