Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How to talk to my provider about different medications

Hello, 

I just started at a new pain management place, after being off of pain management for several years. This will be my 4 month visit. The doctor that I see started me on 10mg of Oxycodone 4x a day. However, I'm still having a lot of pain, and I'm not sure how to go about speaking to her about it. I'm scared because my previous pain management place treated me horribly (which is why I never went to another one until now). So, I don't want to mention this and have her think that I'm seeking for meds or something (assuming they're going to treat me like I have been in the past). I know that I need something long acting because my pain is constant. Is there any particular way I should go about this or does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle it?

I will appreciate all replies,

Melina 

advertisement

Comments

• Melina,

The only way to talk to your PM doctor is with honesty. Explain that even with the oxycodone what your pain levels are, how much they may reduce after dosing, and how long it lasts. 

Ask if she/he has other suggestions for better overall pain management and round the clock better control over increasing pain levels.

In all my years dealing with PM docs, I have never worried about what to say or how to say it. That strikes some doctors as manipulative. I just simply explained how I was feeling, how meds worked or didn't, and then we discussed what to do about it.

Good luck

• Perhaps you could mention to the doctor about doing a genomic DNA test to see what pain meds respond with your body chemistry.  That test helps take a lot of guessing out of what will work and won't work.  It's been around for a while and the doctor should know what it is.

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

Hi MelinaD
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I just made a reply to another member about the testing that Keith mentioned above. That would start a good conversation between you and doctor, let's get things right the first time. Let her know you are not looking the strongest or the best but what works.
    My PM doctor ran it on me the first visit. It compares what you are taking and what will work per your metabolism. It is called the Personalized Gene-Drug Interaction, a swab in your mouth is all it takes.
    And like Sandi said, honesty.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Below is a link to an article I wrote about it.
    Testing For the Right Meds

Feel free to ask any questions.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History