Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

12 days post op microdiscectomy

Hi, I've searched and searched the forums and I feel that no one has answered my question. I'm currently 12 days post op. I feel I've regained the strength in my left leg and I can actually get in and out of bed with no pain now after 6 years of hell. 

I've been trying to take it easy. It's hard as I'm not the sort of person who is always on the go! But I've done as I'm told. I've been alternating sitting, standing, walking and lying down. However today, I've started with a warm sensation in my lower back (under incision site) and into my left buttock. I've also got a pulling feeling from the lower back into my left buttock which is like a burning sensation when I stand or walk. It eases on lying down. 

Do you think this is normal for recovery? Maybe a nerve pain or muscular? 

I'm really hoping it hasn't reherniated. I'm due for my first PT appointment tomorrow and obviously will ask there. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. 

Thank you 

advertisement

Comments

• I meant to add that it was my L5/S1 I had operated on 

• Hello! I too just had a microdiscectomy (L5, S1 too) on Monday 8/13/18. I’m commenting because you describe exactly what is going on with me post op. I have this reoccurring fear that I have reherniated it, so if I feel anything at all, I retreat to the couch?!?! I have a feeling we were just in pain for so long that now that we’ve had relief, we feel like it’s too good to be true. It’s like the pain has traumatized us, lol My doc didn’t suggest any PT for 3 months, but I have a feeling he’s just being overly cautious. Stats show that 95% of the time, this surgery works long term. I’m hopeful for us! Keep in touch, R

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    edited 08/20/2018 - 6:31 AM
    You are so fresh out of surgery. You are going to get various different pains over the next several weeks. First you go through the post surgical pain, then its the start of recovery. It all takes time. What you describe is no different from anyone else during recovery. Also, remember that you may not get the exact match or replies to the question you are asking. I've read through these forums and there are dozens of comments about people having burning sensations wile walking. When I had my last laminectomy, I had that burning feeling while walking for about 5 weeks post surgery. But if you feel really strong about it and are really worried, then contact your surgeon to discuss it.

Please read Recovery, the most important phase - Patience !
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thanks for the replies. I went to PT and my muscles are so tight in my back that this is causing the pain and pulling. I've got 6 gentle exercises to do three times a day. He said that because I haven't been using these muscles for two weeks, they've just ceased up but they will get looser as I start to do more. The burning is normal, nothing to do with the disc, it's all about relaxing now and not tensing up. Listen to my body as it'll tell me when I've done too much. I feel much better now :) 

• These are all normal recovery pains. I’m 5 weeks after L5 S1 disectomy. Still had all kinds of weird pains and nerve sensations even 3-4 weeks after surgery. Just stay the course and just know when it comes to nerves slow and steady wins the race (-:

• advertisement
advertisement