Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Trying not to go backwards

Hello everyone, it’s been awhile since I’ve been here which is usually an indication of doing well, and I was. Unfortunately I ( like most people) have a family to support and had to find new employment. I’ve tried a few jobs that I was qualified for but couldn’t adapt, I’ve finally found something that I like that kept me moderately physical and is enjoyable but starting to require infrequent heavy lifting. My doctors basically warned me of any employment that involves lifting but has no recommendations to help as with the state and everyone else for that matter. I’m not looking for medical advice but I’m just wondering if it’s possible to aggravate the muscles around the fused segment. I was given fair warning about the degenerated discs above the fused l5/s1. At the present time my back is burning, I can’t tell if it’s at the l5 s1 or above. I certainly don’t want to return to my prior condition but I am too old to be re educated and not skilled enough for other work. At some point I will persevere and find a safe career, I’m just wondering if anybody else had experienced an aggravated back from over doing it long after a fusion. Presently I’m fully committed to getting my body to the best weight/ shape and health to compensate for my weak back. I was told that I couldn’t ruin the fusion but at the same time told to stay away from heavy lifting, any experiences would be helpful. I know I sound like an idiot looking for trouble but no one is going to pay my bills and I wouldn’t want that .I just want to be back in the workforce without jeopardizing my back

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,306

Absolute!   That is why those restrictions are in place.  For many its a life long restriction.  Lifting over what you should be can lead to many different problems.   You can run the risk of more herniation, muscle problems, pinched nerves and more.  All resulting in flare ups.   If that abuse of lifting continues, it could result in more serious problems.

I can understand as I know many other members also see that you still need to manage a household.  BUT, abusing your spine could result in a situation where you could NOT even do what you are doing now and then you would have zero means of supporting your family!

You really have to seriously look at all of your options.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences