Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having C3-T2 ACDF with removal of failed hardware from 10 years ago in C5-6,C6-7 and replace.

I've been reading a lot of people talking about the 24/7 migraines which caused me to see my neurologist who then sent me to get a MRI w/contrast. Bad idea...now they found a mess. I am hoping that someone has had something like this. I have an 8 hour surgery scheduled for Jan 4th and I'm terrified. I haven't spoken to the surgeon again as of yet, but I don't know what kind of brace I'll be in after this surgery. I have chronic pain issues already due to a lumbar fusion 2 levels, and fibromyalgia and Lupus so I think I can handle the pain following this daunting surgery. The doctor told me the pain is going to be worse that after open heart surgery. I guess they go through the front and back of my neck.....ummmm..I'm frightened ! I'm allergic to ALL narcotics so I guess tylenol post-op is all I've got. Anyone out there that has any suggestions or answers?

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 919
    Jenel552 - If you are scheduled for surgery from C3 to T2, it will very likely be from the back of your neck.  I'm fused from C2 to C7 and my neurosurgeon told me that if I needed to have my fusion extended to T1, he would have to do it from the rear.  He said very few people can be fused to T1 from the front. 

I can't speak for surgery from the back of the neck, since all of my surgeries were ACDFs.  I'm told that surgeries from the back are more painful and take more time to heal.

I am now almost 11 months post-op since my last surgery.  I am still dealing with a lot of pain.  My surgeon claims that the pain is mostly muscle pain, from what he calls "full neck stabilization". 

You need to own the decision of go/no go on your surgery.  My criteria is primarily driven around one's projected long term quality of life.  Either having or not having surgery is a very tough call.  One never knows what condition they will be in five years from now, either with or without surgery. 

For me the decision was rather forced upon me for my last two surgeries because for both of them, the likely hood that I would end up a quadriplegic was a significant reality. 

I wish you the best, whatever decision you make       

• Thanks for you response, unfortunately I HAVE to get this fixed. My old hardware is slipping and crushing it all so I have migraines all day long and severe strength loss and I can;t feel my hands anymore. I drop everything it;s terribly frustrating. The surgeon is amazed i am able to function at all, so this I'm afraid is a forced surgery as well. Sending you well wishes and appreciate your comment!

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

jenel552
    welcome to spine health

all new members should take the system tutorial

i agree with nutcase, this has to be your decision. i am so sorry you are having to go through this again. have you been tested to see which narcotics you are allergic too? there is a test, a swab in your mouth, called the personalized gene-drug interaction test. this test told my doctor what was not working but what would work. maybe it would help you find something.
    please join us in surgery buddies, please click on the month january 2019, and start a discussion. no one has signed up yet but it's early. being there gives you support and advice from others.

take care and keep us posted. hope to see you in surgery buddies!

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks for the info. I'll have that checked. I will look into the other forum as well

advertisement