Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

4 Weeks tomorrow!

FionaFayeFFionaFaye Posts: 61
edited 03/12/2019 - 12:50 PM in Surgery Buddies

Things are going well...although last night I was jerked awake by my dog's barking and I think I turned my head in response. Right after that I lightning bolt headache came on and noticed some pain radiating down my right arm. Also a bit of swelling/buldging on the right side at the base of my incision.  I iced it right away.  Notified the Dr. and they said to keep icing and observe for the next 2 or three days.  OK.

Is anyone in our February group who is post-op 4 weeks or so, staring to want to stretch and turn their head without thinking?  I want to give my neck a massage and just stretch it in the worst way!  Since the pain is minimmal, and other than the collar I'm wearing, I kinda forget I'm not supposed to turn or tip my head!  To keep myself in check I have tightened my collar--I can't go much tighter for there is no room (I think due to weight & muscle loss and swelling is down my neck seems pretty darn skinny!

Anyone as crazy as me?

~Fiona

advertisement

Comments

• Lol, we all have wanted to turn our heads while wearing those collars. Regardless Fi, keep reminding yourself on WHY your wearing the collar now. Give it time! Have patience and follow your surgeons instructions to a T. Your outcome will be better! ....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• I'm a former neck cracker too--it's like re-learning to live--ok--not that bad.  I'm scared to do anything without my surgeons approval so I'm feeling confident there.  Thanks for the affirmation!!

• advertisement
  • Hi Fi, I am 4 weeks today and feel very similarly— except my fusion is at the bottom (lumbar, L4-S1). Pain is so much less there are times I almost forget. Thank goodness for the brace, that helps remind. 

I don’t have an urge to stretch, I just want to race up or down stairs, or go outside without my cane. I am lightly massaging the muscles on either side of my incision, which is sort of itchy on the inside. 

• Hi Momdown--yes, the itching!!  I asked my nurse about that and she said I could use Benedryl cream around the incision, not on it and it had helped quite a bit.

I used to crack my neck--a lot so that habit has been gnawing at me even with the brace on.  The pain is definitely less but I am icing neck and shoulders daily--it helps a lot.

Here's to continued hope and healing!

Fiona

advertisement