Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 disc replacement post op advice please

hi am 26 yo male, From the UK. I suffered with back pain since i was 16. Had a discetomy on the l5 In jan 2017 which was unsuccessful, the pain got worse in me left leg, bum cheeks and back. After trying every other options and spending tons of money on physio and chiropractor I decided to go ahead with a disc replacement and fusion of the L5. 

Immediately after surgery I had no leg pain and none of the other pains I had before surgery. Still today it’s the same. Which is great news, I am very happy regarding this.

However my muscles to the left and right of the l5 seem to have got much tighter and more sore as the days are going on. I may be just paranoid as it is still early but can someone confirm that it is normal for the muscles to get more sore during the end of the first week. I am struggling to get into a comfy sleeping position as the muscles are that tight.

Many thanks

Adriano

advertisement

Comments

• Adriano

What you are feeling is pretty normal, you are still very early in recovery, muscles were cut during surgery and they take time to heal, I would have a discussion with your surgeon to see if there are any recommended stretches that are allowed during this stage of recovery, you may also need to be taking a muscle relaxer, if you are not already doing so.

I have posted a link below that will be helpful.

recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Hi chip

Thanks for the message, I will definitely look into some muscle relaxers, I think this will help. I am hoping it is pain just from the muscle being cut and it’s going through healing.

The first 3 nights in hospital were sore but then I was home on the 4th, it was the 5th day and today which it really tightened up, more tight than when I was in hospital. We will see, I am just going to rest as much as poss this week. 

I will keep you posted over the next few days.

Also if there is anyone reading this who has had the same surgery I would love to hear your story.

• advertisement