Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

What is it this time?

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I don't know what the deal is this time. I flared up in severe pain 2 days ago. I was put back on Torodal for 5 days. I toughed it out and just about crawled into PT. They were real easy on me and were concerned about me making it home in one piece (I'm just 8 minutes away).
I got home and noticed my left leg is hurting all the way down to bottom of my foot. I have had slight nerve pain in that leg in the past, but it never went below the knee. The right leg has always been the biggest problem. I noticed that my hip on the left bothered me at PT and they said it was maybe the way I sit, taking weight off the right side; I tend to lean to the left to stay off the the sciatic nerve.
Is this worth bringing to the attention of the doctor, or should I wait a few hours to see if it goes away. My concern is that a new problem is starting up. Maybe it's nothing important.

I'm 3 months post op TLIF/laminectomy with more downs than ups in my recovery. I felt decent when being on steroids and Toradol; I can tolerate things more and feel like I'm living on borrowed time while on those meds. I'm currently on Fentanyl 50, Norco, Valium 10, Neurontin, and Naproxen. Usually the meds that I take work well, but I've had a lot of flare ups.
I appreciate any suggestions,Thank you


  • It may be nothing, but it sounds like your injury may be worsening. Call the doctor just to be sure... good luck :D
  • Mey,

    I am sorry to hear about your setback. I hope it is just that "a set back".

    I have had 3-4 in the 7 weeks since my PLIF. My last one was on Sunday after having 3 "great" days. I think I am back to feeling "great"- but I am going to take it easy again today.

    Definition of "feeling great" not feeling too bad/not hurting too much :T

    Could your hardware be causing you problems? I swear if I take a longer stride one of my back muscles gets caught on my hadrwear and it just about makes me faint- then I am hurting more for a few days.

    I am with manalarie- call your doc.

    Soft Hugs >:D<

  • advertisement
  • I'm just the type that paranoid about becoming a pest to any of my doctors. I will keep an eye and see how things are progressing, and surely will call if things are steadily worsening.
    I have older kids and it's not easy staying on top of everything. I don't know how you do it- you're my hero =D>
  • Thank you; you and me had surgery around the same time. And you have it right about the setbacks and "great days." I hope the good days outnumber the bad ones one day, and then all the bad days and setbacks be forever gone.
    I swear I could feel my hardware last week when Ike was on its way. I could not lay on my back, not even briefly. It felt weird, like it was trying to poke thru your skin. And of course, the pain kicked up a knotch.
    When I did my first therapy session, it wasn't that terrible the days after. I was sore and had to run home to take my meds, but it was nothing like how I felt Monday night. I can't say for sure if my new symptoms were brought on by last week's session. Today they were super careful and caring. I let them know what was going on, and I was handled with extra care.
    We'll see what happens..take care
  • Meydey, it really is a long road to recovery. I know at 18 weeks I still have my ups and downs though thankfully they are futher apart then in the beginning.
    Let things settle for a while before panicing and I would suggest keeping a diary of pain and or symptons as well as the meds you are having and what PT or activity you have been doing.
    I know that is a big deal but it really helps to understand triggers.

    I hope things improve soon
    Blessings Sara
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.