Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Violent outbursts after surgery...dont wanna go there again! Whys it happen?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok this may sound a little weird. In a month there abouts im having my hardware in my lower back removed. When I had the surgery last time, I guess from what I heard I was a handfull...actually WAY worse... I barely remember any of it? All I really do remember is a great amount of pain...worse than i could of ever expected...being very mad..mad at the nurses for any reason...mad at my family...Cursing worse than a sailor..pardon the joke.
Anyways, I was very embarrased and have no reason why thi happened? I sent appology cards to everyone at the hospital...Just wish i knew why I did it? Was it from the meds they put me on...the sheer amount of pain involved...tried Googling it and came up with nothin! I was bad...bad bad...I do have bi-polarism...and do curse more than I should in normal life...but this was just simply nutz...even for me!
I guess i did it one other time too...When i was 14 i was in a VERY bad car wreck...was in acoma for over a week...had some brain trama to my front left eye socket area...mom said this was when i first started doing this sort of thing. I have lost most of my memory from age 13-16...
Dont wanna make an ass out of myself again! Nor have the nurses wanna kill me. :O Has anyone heard of this before and or know how to prevent it...someone let me know...thanks...eren :??
advertisement

Comments

• I have this problem and it's caused by the anesthesia itself. When I was in my early 20's I had knee surgery (the first time I was ever under) and when I woke up I actually knocked a nurse out cold and fought with anyone who came near me!

What I do now is tell the anesthesiologist that I have a tendancy to get physical when awaking from anesthesia. They wake me up more slowly and sometimes tie me down to assure that I won't hurt myself or others. I kind of feel like it's because I hate losing control like that and am fighting to wake up and "place" myself.

I understand, it's a horrible feeling. Just be honest with your docs and there are things that they can do to make it easier on both you and the staff.

Griff
  • My guess is that it may be the pain, and the inability to do what you want after the surgery. Sometimes when I am in pain, I said the drastic things in front of my wife, like asking her to chop off my leg. If someone is unjust, I want to be superman to make sure that person learned his lesson. It is weird, I know. Pain, sometimes, occupies our mind so much, that we just get so fed up, and we feel that no one understands how much pain we go through. Have you ever felt that your own doctor may not understand how much pain you are suffering? That is why we come here, because we all know, and get our sanity back.

Keep in mind that the people around us is trying their best to help us, and not understanding what we are physically, mentally going through.

zach
  • advertisement
  • the very first time I had general anesthesia I had a terrible reaction..screaming at everyone, didn't know my husband (he dropped the flowers and ran out of my room!)..docs said it was reaction to anesthesia. I have had many surgeries following that one without that kind of reaction. I do remember the doctors adding something to the medication to help the reaction. I no longer need it...but be sure to tell the doctor and anasethiaologist of your previous reaction. the better prepared they are, the better they can help you. Good luck!
    donna
  • I had a different surgery then back surgery and I flipped out because they said I wasn't due for any pain meds. I was so mad pulled out the iv and went home. It was a complete stranger than who I am now. I haven't had any trouble since. They're removing the hardware that's great. It could be the anesthesia and a feeling of helplessness that can cause this. Now you're more in control as you know what's going on. I'm sure you will be fine this time. I've had alot of surgeries since then and it never happened again to me. I know you'll be okay. We're all with you too this time. Take care. Charry >:D<
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have never heard of that happening. I have never heard of anyone having any of the reactions to anesthesia that the other members have just shared, either. When I wake up from Anesthesia I am just sleepy and kind of in a good mood. First time I was put under I woke up and was chatting with the nurse in the recovery room and looking at pictures of her dogs with her, LOL. Laughing was slow, but fun. My fusion surgery I was CRYING before I even woke up all the way, but it was from the pain, not being sad or anything. It wasn't like a sobbing type deal, it was like that uncomfortable, trying not to cry but can't help it, half whining sort of thing. Lol. I also am Bi-Polar but I never experience any feelings of violence at all, ever. I just get really happy and then the next day I can get like really depressed and stressed out. I just have highs and lows emotionally. I agree with what the others said, definitely let your doctor know about what happened last time. If it was the pain, then it may be comforting to hear that most people who have had their hardware removed have said it was a lot less painful than the fusion surgery itself.
  • advertisement
  • Unfortunately I did it at a hospital that I worked at so I had to go back and face all of these people after my hospital stay. I was so embarassed. I treated every nurse who came near me like crap and even tossed food on the floor after they tried to bring me breakfast. Now looking back I guess it could have been the anesthesia or the pain or both. They didn't act like I was their first patient to act that way and knew how to handle me. Wish I had known that back then what I know now. I had to personally apologize to nearly an entire floor of nurses when I went back to work.
  • Medications coupled with pain can cause reactions like that in some people. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was hospitalized for 2 weeks prior to induction. My BP spiked during labor and they gave me Demerol in the IV and IM for pain and more to get the BP down quickly. I turned into a crazed drugged out person. Throwing things, screaming and swinging at anything and everyone. My hubby had to hold me down, till they got restraints (I guess OB doesnt need them that much,lol). I was told it was not a pretty site. I dont remember anything for the next 2 days, I was told I occasionally opened my eyes and did respond to commands.

As others have said just warn the nurses and anesthesia person before hand that you have had reactions in the past. I opt out for demerol, just incase it was that specific med. that my body cant handle and made me very wacky. I warn them every time.

I wish you luck with your upcoming surgery.

Shell
  • I'm surprised they gave you something like Demerol while pregnant.... I wasn't allowed near anything but Tylenol, no matter the reason. Haha. I was young, so my blood pressure was never high. My cousin's was all the time near the end, but they gave her something else in her IV... I dunno the name. My attention span doesn't allow for the capture of much information when it's not right in front of my face. Lol.

Sounds like quite the experience!
  • I don't have any experience like that to tell you.

I agree that you should tell your doctor that you had this effect before. Hopefully they can do something to keep it from happening again.

And I want to wish you good luck with the hardware removal. I hope that you come out with less pain that going in.
  • I was given demerol IV when I was giving birth to my first child (back in the Dark Ages of Medicine). Evidently I cussed the doctor out...and I NEVER do that! When I went for my 6-week checkup, the doc wanted to know why I was so mad at him in the delivery room. I had no clue!! I've never had this happen again, but I've also never had demerol IV again either.
advertisement