Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

WoW!!!!!

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just opened my first information statement from the hospital for my TLIF. OMG!! 8} I almost fell on the floor!

I had no idea it was going to be this expensive. Over 6 figures!!! No idea. I really am blown away. I have been in the hospital numerous times before and never came close to this.

Anyone else have this experience?

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• My surgery was just over 35 grand....they replaced the hardware at L5-S1 and fused L4 to that. Wow...6 figures? I hope your stay was well worth it!! LOL!!
  • my first two surgeries (the fusion and the one to clean out the MRSA 3 weeks later) were 153 THOUSAND DOLLLARS~! then the treatment for the MRSA was insane. I had a nurse come once a week to clean the IV thing in my arm. the vancomycin was incredibly expensive. don't remember those numbers... but yeah... it was really expensive. then I had a third surgery two weeks after the MRSA cleaning (my incision wasn't healing) and I don't remember that figure either. in all, I'm sure it was close to 200 thousand.
    G.
  • advertisement
  • Does your insurance pay for that? I wonder why they send a receipt? I don't understand how the system is run there but I'm sure we have in Canada mostly free healthcare. Maybe the waits are long but it sounds like the same there. I worked in Florida a couple of months and after putting an iv in or dressing I had to put a sticker on the wall for how many were used so they could do the billing the next day. Hopefully this system is more upgraded as that was in 1994. I had no idea it cost so much though for one surgery. With 6 figures I wonder if you were staying at a fine hotel. I know it wasn't a joke though. I hope you and everyone are healing well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • But insurance paid for all but my $100 hospital co-pay and my $20 co-pay to go into the doctors the first time they diagnosed me. THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE!
  • Its a stupid system, but yes they have to bill 6 figures to get paid a quarter of what they bill. If you are concerned about your responsibility is call your insurance company and ask what your "co-insurance", "deductible", and "out-of-pocket" maximum is for the year.
  • advertisement
  • My insurance covers 90% on some and 100% on others. I was still astonished though at the price. Outrageous.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Mine was right at $70,000 for the TLIF. My part is somewhere around $1,000...yes, Thank God for good insurance!
  • I just want to thank you guys for sharing this kind of info also.
    More than likely I will be looking at these kind of procedures and bills in the future.

I priced a 2 level ADR in Los Angeles where I live and it was in the 6 figures. 8}

Gonna get a passport so I can go get it for less outside the country if need be.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I live in the UK and we are lucky not to pay for our health care. It may not be a perfect system but hey it's free.

All we pay for is prescriptions which cost about 12 dollars per medecation.

Dawn
  • I don't recall the exact amount, but mine was over $60K. My portion because of crappy insurance and deductibles was around $2K.

I was surprised that the hospital stay was as low as it was - around $1,500 plus meds and a bunch of low cost miscellaneous stuff. The majority truly was for the surgery, both to the surgeon and the hospital for the OR/fluoroscope.
advertisement