Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Warning! Fatal toothache!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello everyone,
First of all I have to keep this very short because I am not feeling very well at all right now. This is to anyone who has started having problems with their teeth after their back problems started up.
Almost immediately after I had my first two surgery's my teeth started to become a problem. I've had a lot of loss in enamel on my teeth and because of the pain I keep my teeth clamped together like a vice at all times, 24/7. I have broken a lot of me teeth because of this and have had tons of dental work done in the past 5 years. It never seems to end.
Currently I have another broken tooth that also has a cavity. On Christmas Eve I bit down on a piece of food and it put pressure on that tooth. I immedialtely has severe pain and as the night went on the left side of my face began to swell a little. By the next day though it had gotten so big that my lower lip was swollen and my jaw and cheek were huge. The next morning, that day after Christmas, I woke early only to discover that the swelling was evn worse and had moved into my neck, really huge. Plus it was red and had red streaks all over the place. I has promised my mother and my husband that I would seek out medical attention and my husband went to work that morning.
The next thing I know is my husband was back home and he told me that he was taking me to the ER immediately. Some of his cowrokers had told him that this was very dangerous. He was scared to death! When they saw me they took me in immediately.
To get to the point, while I was seeing the doctor he told me "This is very serious, at any moment this could get to your (my) heart and you will be dead within hours". Wow, what a wakeup call! I was also told that it could have gotten to my brain. They gave me a shot of a very strong antibiotic and took tons of blood to see if it was in there. It was! They told me to come back in the morning, no matter what! And they also told me that if anything changes, gets worse, to come back immediately.
The funny thing is that I was already taking antibiotics for two weeks so I could see the dentist and have it worked on, yet this happened anyway. Simply amazing. So if there is anyone else that is having dental problems, don't delay getting to your dentist and please watch out for any swelling. If it happens, get to a doctor fast! I know other people who have had dental problems after their back was injured so I know that I'm not the only one.
I just used up another one of my 9 lives like a cat, and I hope that no one else has to go through this. But if you do, please don't wait like I did. I should have gone to the ER on Christmas or even the dentist sooner. Take care of yourselves.
Happy New Year!
advertisement

Comments

• I have a broken tooth. Happened just the other day and hurts like the dickens. But with all of the doctor appointments I haven't had time to even give it the time and attention I know it needs. I'm also scared of the Dentist now because my neck is still sore from surgery. I guess I better put it higher on my priority list and get it taken care of. Thanks for sharing. Did they say it was any particular type of infection? So far I have no swelling which is good.
  • I had some dental work done about 2 months ago. I had a very large old filling that never give me one bit of trouble but my dentist told me under that filling it was decayed and should be giving me lots of pain. It makes me wonder if the med's I take masked it, the neurontin is a nerve pain med and a lot of teeth pain is nerve related. People should be heads up about this also.

Sharon
  • advertisement
  • About 3 months before surgery I got dental work done knowing that I had the spine surgery coming up. I had read how important it was to get all your dental work done before surgery.

I had my surgery on 11/19 (L3-L4 fusion). Maybe about a week after surgery my teeth started that weird root canal feeling but I just brushed it off because I had just been to the dentist and the post-op surgery book said I might feel all kinds of different pains. But then one of my crowns came loose. So I go to the dentist. He does an x-ray and this small cavity I had before surgery is now much bigger. We were both shocked. He saw this months ago and said that it was no big deal, wait until after your surgery.

I wonder if all the stress of the fusion healing just leaches your bones? So I'll probably start my antibiotics Monday or Tuesday after my dentist's office talks with my neuro's office.

It never ends.

EM
  • thanks for your post, glad your hubby took action to get help for you. #:S

It is a good reminder to us all that our mouth will send anything into our blood system fast!..that is why nitro-glycerine pills for heart angina go under the tongue to dissolve. Even for a stroke, they recommend putting an aspirin in the mouth, to dissolve and go into the bloodstream fast.

Feel better soon...having toofies that need work or are sick are no fun!!
  • hi there
    i have nice teeth but since i have been on oxycodone and i have been in constant pain.i have found that i have been grinding my teeth and i have damaged one of my front teeth.i have a chip in i t.i went to the dentist as soon as i noticed it..he said that he would grind it as flay as he could.and then said something that i did not like
    he said that you will have a slight chip in your tooth but because i am a man it dose not matter!!!
    i don't think so!! i have looked after my teeth all my life/just because i am male dose not mean that i should have grotty teeth !
    when i can afford it and when i am feeling better pain wise
    i will book to see a cosmetic dentist
    BUT i have noticed that poor health and drugs and lack of sleep has taken its toll on not just my teeth but my body in general
    has anyone else noticed that they have has this happen to them?
    happy new year to all
    STRAKER
  • advertisement
  • I'm really glad you're okay. And thanks for the warning. Straker, That Dentist is something else. I think a regular Dentist could put a cap on the front tooth. I know worry and stress can cause grinding. There are cheap trays you can get at the drugstore and most plans cover from the dentist a grinding tray. Happy New Year Topfuel and All. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the heads up and I hope you are feeling better soon. I went to get my teeth cleaned a couple of weeks after my fusion. I had the appt set about 6 months in advance and my whole family had to get theirs done too. I didn't even know this but you can't even have a cleaning for 6-8 weeks after a surgery due to the bacteria could cause and infection or something and get into your blood. I had to put my cleaning off and I was so mad because I wanted to get it done with. I too grind my teeth since I've been taking narc pain meds.
  • Ming,

I think you can get your teeth cleaned as long as you are taking antibiotics for at least a week before the dental appointment.

EM
  • So I should advise my dentist about my fusion when I make my appointment and see if I need to an antibiotic first. This tooth has got to go. No matter what. The percocet I take doesn't even take the pain away at all. So I believe the nerve pain statement. Thanks everybody. This has been a very informative post.
  • I called my Neuro's office and spoke with his assistant. She said that I needed to have my dentist call the Neuro's office, tell them the procedure that needed to be done and if I have any allergies then the Neuro's office would prescribe me what antibiotics I need to take.

I mean either way, whether you leave the bad tooth in your mouth untreated or have the work done, either way you run the risk of the infection getting into your blood stream, wouldn't you?

In my post op pack, it said that any cavities or cleaning work I have done for 1 year (I think), I have to take antibiotics a week before. But any invasive work like a root canal or implant I'd have to take an antibiotic the week before for up to 3 years.

EM
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.