Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial


In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

traumatic injury to l3, l4, l5, and s1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
In feb, 2008 I was stricken by a piece of machinery at work, and since have experienced severe pain in my lower back, buttock, leg and foot. I have more recently begun having total numbness in my left leg, accompanied by localized pain in my lower left back and hip. The company doctors that I was sent to were ready to release me to full duty, so I changed doctors. My new doctor performed FCE, EMG/NCV, and work conditioning. They found evidence of left sciatic neuropathy, and l5-s1 radiculopathy. My pain specialist recommended ESI injections, which had little or no effect. My pain specialist then recommended a surgery consult. Is surgery something that I should consider at this point? I am taking Tramadol, Meloxicam, skelaxin, Lyrica, and Propoxyphene for pain management.


  • I couldn't say whether or not you need surgery, but any time there is numbness, it is probably time to consult with a spinal specialist.

    The EMG has indicated some nerve damage, and now you have a symptom of feeling numb. It is a good idea to have a name in mind (a relationship with a spinal specialist) in the event that your nerve damage worsens. If you develop bowel or bladder problems, or foot drop you will want to go to a specialist ASAP.
Sign In or Register to comment.