Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can sitting cause reherniation?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,

I'm 2 weeks out of my L5S1 microdiscectomy and I'm feeling pretty good. I walk a little more than 3 miles a day and have no pain in my right leg (where I originally had sciatica).

I have 2 quick questions:
1. I've started to get a few twinges in my left leg. Not pain exactly, it feels almost like it's being stretched when it definitely isn't. It feels sort of like my right leg did before it got badly herniated. Could I have reherniated? Or could this be a side effect from the surgery and it might go?

2. I have a 3-hour exam this Saturday that I can't miss. Will sitting down for 3 hours increase my risk of herniation or will it just cause pain? The pain I can deal with, but re-herniation I don't want to risk.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• A disk can reherniate. The only way to totally eliminate that possibility is having a fusion or replacement disk procedure done. That being said, don't think worse case everytime you have a different pain. Right after surgery, your body is going through a lot of changes. I would let your doctor know whats going on.

Before taking your exam, explain to the proctor that you just had a surgical procedure performed and you must get up every once in a while to move around.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Yes sitting can cause reherniation. Anything that flexes that segment can cause herniation. The key is to maintain the arch in our low back. Dont slouch sit! Sit with your butt back in the chair and take a back support. Also good if you can get up every 30 minutes. Thats important not just for the test. Good posture and body mechanics aree essential for long term success.
  • advertisement
  • OMG! I just learned something new! :jawdrop: Thanks for info.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Geer9d said:
    Hey all,

I'm 2 weeks out of my L5S1 microdiscectomy and I'm feeling pretty good. I walk a little more than 3 miles a day and have no pain in my right leg (where I originally had sciatica).

I have 2 quick questions:
    1. I've started to get a few twinges in my left leg. Not pain exactly, it feels almost like it's being stretched when it definitely isn't. It feels sort of like my right leg did before it got badly herniated. Could I have reherniated? Or could this be a side effect from the surgery and it might go?

2. I have a 3-hour exam this Saturday that I can't miss. Will sitting down for 3 hours increase my risk of herniation or will it just cause pain? The pain I can deal with, but re-herniation I don't want to risk.

Thanks.
    Hi there - I had a L5S1 microdiscectamy 5 1/2 months ago and I can tell you this, your nerve has a long healing process ahead of it. Not necessarily that uncomfortable for you, but you will still have pain, discomfort and numbness/tingling for several weeks. At least I did, and still do have some occasional leg symptoms. I was told by my surgeon that healing of the sciatic nerve can take up to a year or longer depending on the severity of the herniation.

Also, I hate to be the party spoiler, but there is no way you are going to sit for 3 hours straight anytime soon. As a matter of fact, you really shouldn't sit for more than a 1/2 hour in one stretch for the first couple of months. My body definitely told me when enough was enough, and usually it was 20-30 minutes. And yes, I do believe reherniation is a possibility just by sitting for too long. At least in the first couple of months of recovery.

Good luck, Tony
  • Unfortuneatley you can reherniate your disc by sitting to
    long. I had a microdisectomy L4-L5 11-97 and 2 artificial
    discs put in at L4-L5 and L5-S1 3 years ago. My back
    collapsed from sitting to much at both levels which caused
    me to have the last surgery I had.

You should be able to get a note from your surgeon for your
    exam stating how long you can sit at a time. For me my
    Dr. said 10 to 15 minutes at a time after I had surgery.

After my microdiscectomy I used to flare my back up 5 or
    6 times a year(to the point where it would scare me) but it
    would always heal. You might consider calling your Dr.
    about this just to ease your mind. You will get the best
    result from your back surgery if you do everything in your
    power not to flare up. Its no picnic having to have another surgery. My last surgery was brutal! I'm still not fully better.

Take Care! Christie

• advertisement
  • Hello everyone,

I drive for a living, but get up and out at least every 30 minutes. I have a lumbar pillow that helps with my posture. At times, I wish I didn't have the surgery. I waited 5 months. I got better during this time, went back to work for a month and it got worse. So I had the surgery. Some folks told me wait it out and others said get r done. So, I did. But like you, I don't know what the future holds. I herniated at L4-5, what is worse this level or S1-L5?

Hang in there,
    Backman38
advertisement