Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does anyone have a success story???

Comments

• Just need to know.. I am scheduled for the same kind of surgery on the 17th of this month.. Did your insurance pay for your ADR?? or did you have to pay for it??$$ Mine wont and the hospital quoted me a huge amount that I will never be able to come up with :(
  • i'm on my way to success. i stopped narcotics 2 days post-op and control pain with ibuprofen 600mg tid, robaxin 500mg at bedtime, heat and my TENS unit. my neuro symptoms have not returned since surgery. my muscle spasms are slowly getting better. i can lift 20-25lbs or so (i couln't hold anything heavier than a pen without dropping it before surgury). my neck range of motion is getting better and less painful each day. i am hopeful that soon (maybe mid-april) i will be able to lift 50lbs and be able to do CPR so that i can return to work. i believe staying positive and working thru the pain (not masking it) have been and will continue to be a big part of my recovery.
  • advertisement
  • I have 1 success story & 1 in the works!

My DH in 2001 had a microdiscectomy and while he still has some backaches when he overdoes things - he is in incredible shape now - besting all his army buddies on PT tests ever since he re-joined.

I had a 2-level fusion last July and I am back to full-time work. I still have dr. imposed restrictions but I take nothing stronger than Tylenol. Don't get me wrong, I ache, but hey - it's SO much better than pre-surgery!
  • On average,...when did the leg pain start diminishing after the surgery "inflammation?" I'm 23 days post op and My leg pain (ache) and tingling (now in BOTH feet) is still bothersome. I am now back on my Voltaren. UGH! My 1st followup with the surgeon is Monday and I'll have to restrain myself from freaking out about these NEW issues in the OTHER leg. Maybe I'm just healing slow. :/

Thanks.
  • I walk down the street and back 2-3 times a day and rest inbetween moving around in the house. I eat well and take vitamins/drink lots of water. I'm in good health other than the back issues. I'm trying to do everything I am told to by the doctor to the T. I haven't driven yet or really even sat down because I'm so afraid of hindering the healing process. I'll see him on Monday and get some answers hopefully.

Sounds like you had a difficult time with your situation but are finally getting to the other side, That's great to hear!
  • advertisement
  • I am 3.5 months post op PLIF L4-5 fusion/decompression/synovial cyst removal. Prior to surgery I was rapidly losing my ability to walk. Completely! Only had a few months left, probably. Last night my hub and I drove down to Atlanta (an hour) and I walked 5 blocks once there to go see Chorus Line. I sat reasonably comfortably for the 2 hour show and then back home (another hour). No way could I have done any of that 4 or 5 months ago. Sure I still have some pain and discomfort. But I only take 10 mgs a day at most of Lortab plus a Celebrex (non narcotic). My options were surgery or surgery. And I am rapidly getting back to life. Every week gets a little better. It has been a long recovery for me but I'm 57 years old. And incidentally, Chorus line was great!!! Can't wait to go hiking with my grandaughter this weekend.
  • I woke up from my surgery free of nerve pain, and have not felt any since pre-op. I had my six week check in with my surgeon yesterday from my L5-S1 ALIF on January 21st and he is pleased with the x-ray (we're optimistic I am fusing, can't say for sure just yet). I'm off the narcotics, walking every day, he eased the "BLT" restrictions and I'm going back to work in 10 days.

As of right now, I am so glad I did this surgery.
    But I am also glad I exhausted every conservative treatment option first.
    -Melissa
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • Helloo! I am 5 months post-op a 360 3 level fusion. Last visit was 2 weeks ago to my NS and I could actually SEE the bone fusion myself this time. It was great! It is a long haul, you have good days and bad days.. but Ive learned to keep the bad days to a minimum by not over doing it. Everyone is different as is surgeons, and I have learned the meaning of patience allll over again. I feel better than I have in a long time, and can start to see the the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope this helps, and I have has to learn its one day at a time! :)
  • =D> =D> =D> buckeyeback thanks for starting this post. i feel better everytime i read it. marcia
  • Thanks to those who have shared their stories. It's very comforting to know that back surgery can be an answer to the constant pain and patience is what needs to be employed sometimes.

Thanks again everyone!
advertisement