Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is cervical fusion as painful as Lumbar fusion? I am scheduled 4/8

advertisement

Comments

• I just had cervical fusion C5-6-7 Monday afternoon. My pain is being controlled with 1 percocet every 4-6hrs & flexeril 10mg every 8 hrs. I do have some discomfort in between but it's definitely manageable. Most of my pain is from muscle spasms & tonight I'm very stiff & sore in my neck & shoulder area. From what I have read this is probably due to positioning during the surgery. My sis just put some biofreeze on my neck & shoulders which feels really good.

I have not had any other spine surgery so I cannot compare but I could not have wished for a better experience than I had.

OK I'm dropping off as I type so I'm gonna catch some zzzz's
  • I havn't been on for awhile. OOPS.
    Seems like everyone pretty much said it all.
    There is no "perfect" answer for how your outcome will be.
    I had both and will say they were totally different.
    Quicker recovery for my neck but that was only 1 level.
    You will read some that have had 2 through even 5 levels done.
    In the end it all comes down to the patient, dr and how you recover.

I only used the recliner for 2 nights. I found it way to hard to put the foot part down bymyself and found myself paging hubby in the middle of the night. So I migrated to the couch. I made sure to have 2 pillows underneath my neck, 1 under each arm. 2 under my knees.
    I kept the coffee table pushed up agains the couch. (just the corner of it. So I had something to grab onto when I log rolled off the couch.
    When I wanted to sit at the computer I just piled up the pillows put the keyboard on my lap. So much nicer now that so many have laptops.
    My only issue was swallowing in the hospital as they go through the front (most of the time) for about a week or two.
    Lots of burning across my shoulders. Nothing much touched that except lots of reusable gel icepacks, I used for like forever! I still do LoL
    I did LOTS of walking. It will make you feel so much better in the long run. My collar was taken off a 4 wks. Then I started PT and returned to work 4 months later due to a very strenous job and by choice..

So this is long enough LOL
    I wish you the very best of luck in your surgery!!!!!
    Terri :)
  • advertisement