Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

POST OP PAIN MANAGMENT

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF POST OP PAIN MANAGMENT AFTER ANTERIOR SPINAL FUSION C6 C7 IS COMMONLY USED, INJECTIONS OR PAIN PUMP ETC, OR DOES IT DEPEND ON THE DOCTORS PREFERENCE?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to SH. Yes, post op pain mgt depends on your doctor's choice and your particular situation. Since you're having a fusion, more than likely your doctor may order a PCA machine to dispense morphine for the first 24-48 hours after surgery. PCA stands for patient-controlled analgesia, and you push the button whenever you need it; it is totally safe and the amount of medication is set to your doctor's parameters. It will not allow you to get too much, and it is very convenient because you don't have to wait around for the nurse to come give you an injection. When you leave the hospital, your doctor will write you a script for pain pills and perhaps a muscle relaxer. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be well taken cared of.
  • Yes also I would say Drs prefrence. In some cases they will ask you what you prefer and what works better.
    Also depends on how many levels your having done.
    I had one level and just got meds every 4hrs through my IV seemed to work well
    I went home in 36 hrs after I was able to get a shake down me.. Plus able to get oral meds down ok.
    The only pain I had was spasms in my throat, and burning in my shoulders. The incision was a bit sore, but nothing not tolerable.
    Again depends on the patient.

I want to wish you the very best luck with your surgery!!
    Terri :)
  • advertisement