Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Side effect of tramadol?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Have any of you taken tramadol and had headaches as a side effect? I'm supposed to take 100mg every six hrs. as needed. Also my vision is very blurry. Do any of you have that? I'm also taking Norflex. Have any of you tried it?

Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• :H I used to take Tramadol but only 50mgs twice a day so I never had headaches. Itching and sweating alot was my reactions to it. :''( Never had Norflex! Sorry I'm no help!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks. Actually you are a lot of help. Maybe that explains why my arms and scalp have been itching me to death. I hadn't even thought of the tramadol causing it. Thanks again. I hope you're having a good day.

Debbie
  • advertisement
  • Hi sunny and yes headache is listed as a common side effect. I don't think I've had headache from it.. hard to say as I do sometime get headache from cevical issues. The iching does go away after you're on it for a while. I do have nausea and feel wired if I go over 200mg. The biggest side effect is the cost as most drug plans/insurance won't cover it in Canada. Ok, not a side effect just a another pain in the neck.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    opiate form med .... never did much for me except make me even geekier at higher doseage. Tell you doctor you need some real pain meds.

Good luck,

D
    Hi. I have headaches from my cervical problems too but I can tell this one is different. I have the nausea too. Our insurance covers it (thankfully). I don't think I'm going to take it long since it doesn't help the pain anyway. I have to give it a try though because nothing else helps. Thanks.
    Debbie
  • advertisement
    Thanks. I agree with you that it doesn't help. It doesn't seem to affect me in any way other than the headache, nausea, and itching. My GP won't prescribe anything better though..not just for me but anyone who sees him. I'm beginning to wonder if he's had trouble before and can't prescribe 'real' pain meds. Who knows? Take care

Debbie
  • I take 150-200mg of tramadol a day with acetaminophen (tylenol). The combination doubles the effect of tramadol alone. No headaches for me, the only lasting tramadol side effect I've had is insomnia. I can't take it after noon. I did get a minor skin rash on my arms initially but that went away after a couple weeks.
    Jay
    Thanks for your reply. Does the tramadol help you? I keep hoping it will kick in and start to help. Maybe it will? Take care and have a nice day. I heading out for another MRI...yippee.

Debbie
  • Gotta love those MRI's! :)

Tramadol does work better on the pain than my Vicodin (especially when combined with acetaminophen) and lasts longer; it only takes a little bit of the edge off though. I can take it during the day without being put to sleep. Vicodin puts me to sleep long before I feel any pain relief. So I take the Tramadol during the day and the Vicodin at night.

The maker of Ultram (which is the brand name of Tramadol) also makes a drug called Ultracet which is a Tramadol/acetaminophen combination. I just take a 500mg generic acetaminophen whenever I take a Tramadol. Both my doc & pharmacist told me to try this. You should ask your doc about trying the combo, it does help.
    Jay
  • I have headaches when I take tramadol too. Plus the back of my head and my arms and hands itch like crazy. I feel jittery and get heart races sometimes too. It doesn't really help my pain but with the side effects it takes your mind off the pain a bit. LOL. Makes me think of having your toe stomped so your neck will stop hurting or something. Geez...I'm a bad comedian today.

Anyway, I may try adding the acetaminophen to the dose and see if that helps more. It's cold today in the South and my bones and muscles are hurting to beat the band.
advertisement