Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain medication while in the hospital

Comments

• I'm just glad my surgery and hospital experience is over. The whole experience just makes me want to do anything that I can do to prevent a third surgery!
  • Interesting how everyone's experience differs.

During my pre-op appt two weeks prior to surgery, I had a meeting with the head nurse (what are you allergic to, etc.) and she specifically told me that when I'm in the hospital and a nurse asks me what my pain level is, add two levels to what you really feel so you'll be sure to get the best medicine to control your pain.

My surgeon had me on hydrocodone, flexiril and xanax pre-op, on a dilaudid self-distribution pump (not sure about anything else, though). I was up and helped to the bathroom about every 45 minutes all afternoon, night and morning.

Post-op, I'm on hydrocodone and flexiril..still.

I'm appalled that you weren't on stronger meds to control your pain. Unbelievable!

Cath
  • advertisement
  • If in the hospital and the nurses are not meeting your pain needs, whether the doctors doing or not, you have a few choices:

A. Demand the nurse call the doctor and let you speak to him, if they refuse this then:

B. Call the doctors office yourself, if no answering service or way to reach him then:

C. Call the hospital operator (press 0 on phone most likely) and explain your situation, they can then have the nursing supervisor or higher reach you within minutes if nothings going on, and then insist your pain needs are not met, then I promise you the doctor will be called.

If the above fail start calling the hospitals risk management/Quality insurance managers or higher, CEO even.
  • Now thats pain control!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522
    Some doctors will make sure that their patients are properly taken care of with all the prescription medicines, while others seem to what to withhold everything from the patient.
    I would love to understand the thought process that goes through both of those doctors's minds when they prepare a medication list for one of their surgical patients.

Even though my spinal surgeries were from 10 to 30 years ago, I never had a problem with pain control when I was in the hospital.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I spoke to my PCP today, he is great, though not a PM. I send him emails with updates all the time. Yeah I know they can be dredged up by scum anytime, but I don't much care about saying I hurt in an open forum else I would not be here! anyway, I sent him an email twice in the last few days expressing my C.S. about pain control, I'm very tired of hurting and very afraid I will not get good control with even a mild surgery, (could someone come hold my hand?)...

My PCP called me within 10 minutes of my email and asked me to put all my questions directly to my PM when we do the presurgery meet and great this Thursday. My PCP told me if I want and my PM wants HE (PCP) will do the post operative pain control once I am realeased and he will make sure I am getting good relief. He wants me to ask the PM to call him if he will do so and wants my PCP to care for me postop. Now, you have got to give the guy credit for being willing to take this on!

My PM does not script pain meds, only does injections and pumps, scs units, etc, PANSIE! anyway, I figure between this Thursday and the May 4th date I will have a firm handle on this! I hope that my PM agress to let my PCP do this. I have my PCPs HOME phone number, heck, I can't even get a direct line to my PMs office! I have to call and leave a message and hope someone returns the call! Half the time they do not! They always seem to "lose" the message.

pepper09, thanks for this topic, it has helped me a LOT!!!
advertisement