Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

severe migraine for over wk, no relief, help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
had 2 fusion, lumbar 4,5, with cages, titanium screws the works, on 3/23 of this year. Thought all was going well. Last Sun began with a miserable headache like none I'd ever had. Was taken to ER. They did MRI with and without contrast. Everthing was all right. Did CT same way, everything was all right. Dr. decided must have lumbar punch. Everything seemed all right. They released me. Next am, when I stood up had to call first aid to come get me a pain was even greater. Spent entire week in hospital with no good results. I got so upset with all the mistakes they made. They over medicated me....partly my fault. I got totally disorientented and lost in hospital. I refused medication all day on Friday so I could get somewhat alert and get out of hospital yesterday. I still have miserable headache. Now of course it's a holiday weekend and everyone and everything is closed and I'm suffering terribly. I'm scared...plain scared. The pain is so bad that I have to keep my head flat on the pillow. If I raise it all the pain goes over the top of my head and down the back of my head and seems to follow the liters in my neck and feels like my body is being paralyzed. My husband is frightened and so am I.

Has anyone any suggestion at all? I've had migraines for years, but never anything like this. No medicine seems to get rid of this pain. Nothing tastes right. HELP!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with the headaches! Could any of the meds you are on have side effects like this? I'm sure you've tried all the usual stuff like hot or cold compresses, drink a lot of coffee (caffein is good for migraines).

Please let us know how you are doing.
  • I am so sorry this is happening to you. My migraines have changed from the usual since my injury. Due to pain meds I miss taking migraine pills soon enough and end up getting a shot of pethedine and anti nausea drugs. Its tough being in pain with your back yet alone another issue to cope with. Gentle head massage may help ease your pain or the usual cool compresses. Sorry not to have any fail-proof fixes.
    Sending you big gentle hugs n' love - Paula
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I have migraines too. They are rough. I found out Excedrin Migraine can take the edge off of them but you may need a doctor's opion though.
  • thanks for the replies. Today has been another miserable day of excruitating pain. I've tried everything I know to try. Cold compress across forehead, eyes,; heat around neck. coffee to drink. coke, ginger ale with crushed ice.
    little food as I feel sick to stomach. Phenagrin for nausea.

Excedrin Migraine this am and will take again before going to bed.

I absolutely feel like I'm being paralyzed around my neck and down the back of my head and into my back but the MRI and CT and all tests come back clean. The lumbar punch came back clean. I just feel like something is definitely being missed and I don't know what.

I'm only half way comfortable lying with my head totally down, the min. I raise up I get this paralyzing feeling. My back hurts above my incision. Gee, I wish I knew what we are dealing with. Hope tomorrow brings better feelings.

Thanks all for your thoughts....keep them good and keep them coming.
  • If it's effecting your taste buds,makes me think it might have something to do with your sinuses??

Looking at the computer screen will only worsen the head pain.I'm beginning to get a headache now too,and I'm going to take a hot shower and meds before..or so that it doesn't get 'out of control'.

Good luck with yours~I detest migraines.Whenever I feel a headache coming on I try to avoid anything that might make it worse.Oh~and drink water..it helps.
  • advertisement
  • Depending on where you live, it could be allergies causing your headaches. But, if not and it is truely a migraine, I've had good luck with Zomig nasal spray. It goes to work fast! Usually, within 10 minutes the migraine is subsiding.

Imitrex and zomig tablets do ok, but I get palpatations and chest pain taking the tablet form. But, the nasal spray is fine. Ask your doctor about it since it is a prescription. Remember to not overtake any of the "triptan" migraine medications.

Good luck, I know migraines are miserable.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks, I'm in allergy heaven....east coast. Tomorrow is another day and I've tried to document everything and will call my neuro first thing in the morning. Need more relief and don't want to keep on taking meds every few hours that work partly only for a few min. Miserable.....poor husband and I both are worried, but today has honestly been less painful than past week, but still so bad that I could barely move from couch to bathroom with difficulty.

Have taken imitrex but never zomig. I've been afraid of several things....did the lumbar punch cause problems last week? Did the surgery that I had in 3/23/09 leave problems that we didn't know about? What is this pain from????
    Is ths pain going to paralyze me? Kill me???

Lots of thoughts going through my painful head.

Thanks so much for your support....and I've been trying coffee, water, coke, cold compress on forehead, eyes, heat around neck...you name it, i'm trying desperately to get over this, don't care what gets rid of it.
  • Barney,

I'm sorry to hear about all this.

If they did a lumbar puncture, you may be experiencing a "spinal headache." This occurs when CSF leaks out of the hole that was created when injecting dye into the spinal canal. The pain decreases or goes away when laying down, but becomes bad when you are upright.

Roughly 10% of people getting a lumbar puncture experience this and it usually goes away within 5-7 days.

I had a lumbar puncture done last Tuesday as part of a myelogram (I also had a CT scan done at the same time). I experienced bad headaches for several days and ended up getting a blood patch done on Friday. This involves taking some of your blood and injecting it over the original hole. The blood clots, creating a patch in the hole. This seems to be the best solution for the headaches.

You should check with your doctor ASAP if you are still experiencing problems.
  • Mark
    Thanks for your answers....problem is somewhat better as long as I'm lying almost flat, but when I get up....oh buddy. Nothing tastes right, but I'm drinking black coffee, cokes, water, etc. eating pretty much nothing except bland food. Have lost 13 lbs. since Sun. a week ago. Not the way to lose it.

I've talked with the nurse of the Neuro that operated on me 3/23 and she is going to talk with him in between surgeries and get back to me.

She is thinking it is a spinal fluid leak, but perplexed as it camee about almost 2 mo. after surgery. Headache occurred first Sun. a week ago and then they did the CT & MRI and lumnar punch. She seems to think the leak is from the initial surgery.....I don't know how they would find a hole from over a week ago....but surely wish something wonderful would transpire. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling badly.

She told me to lie flat....so I'm lying flat with my laptop propped on my stomach to write to you guys........

Gee hope I don't have to have my back opened up again.
  • Mark
    Thanks for your answers....problem is somewhat better as long as I'm lying almost flat, but when I get up....oh buddy. Nothing tastes right, but I'm drinking black coffee, cokes, water, etc. eating pretty much nothing except bland food. Have lost 13 lbs. since Sun. a week ago. Not the way to lose it.

I've talked with the nurse of the Neuro that operated on me 3/23 and she is going to talk with him in between surgeries and get back to me.

She is thinking it is a spinal fluid leak, but perplexed as it camee about almost 2 mo. after surgery. Headache occurred first Sun. a week ago and then they did the CT & MRI and lumnar punch. She seems to think the leak is from the initial surgery.....I don't know how they would find a hole from over a week ago....but surely wish something wonderful would transpire. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling badly.

She told me to lie flat....so I'm lying flat with my laptop propped on my stomach to write to you guys........

Gee hope I don't have to have my back opened up again.
advertisement