Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Scar treatment

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,082
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Any suggestions for dealing with scarring. I had my surgery 4 weeks ago, stitches out after 9 days, then steristrips which stayed on for two weeks. I took them off this past weekend and it looks like my scar is redder (not red-like infection, just darker) than before, maybe because the skin has a lot more movement without the steristrips. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Should I put lotion around it? Maderma? Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I have a scar on my neck from thyroid surgery. I used vitamin E capsels that you would take for a suplement. I poked it with a pin and put the liquid vitamin from the capsel directly on the scar and rub in a little. It worked wounders on mine. Should notice an improvement in a few days.
  • my surgery scars healed very nicely. I used 2 things to improve mine. I used cocoa butter and vitamin E gels and poked a hole in them and put on scar. I drink a lot of ice tea too which helps the skin too. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • advertisement
  • You will find that there are almost as many recommendations for dealing with scars, as there are members. My neurosurgeon recommended a simple lotion and it worked wonders. Basically getting the area moistened and working it with your hand helps.

"C"
  • Thank you for the suggestions!
  • i was recommended to use a vitamin E cream ,i put it on twice a day and also bio oil.which really helped as well.
  • advertisement
  • I WOULD SUGGEST THE SAME AS THE OTHERS. I AM ABOUT 19 DAYS POST OP. DOC TOLD ME TO LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A WEEK. I HAVE STITCHES INSIDE. I DID BY MEDERMA TO USE IN A WEEK AND I LOVE THE TEA SUGGESTION. I WAS ALSO TOLD VIT. E DOES WONDERS.

GOOD LUCK AND KNOW I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

CINDY
    Cindy
  • Vitamin E capsules are so cheap and effective. I used this, but I must admit that I wasn't diligent with it. My scar has healed up real nicely on the front of my neck. I barely notice it now.

One thing important during the summer months is to remember to protect your scar if you are in the sun. use a good sunscreen. It will burn really easily and this could cause even more scarring.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
advertisement