Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

curios..

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 171
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What is considered still in early recovery process regarding to post ALIF/PLIF surgery?

reason is I just started my 6 weeks and find my self still not full of energy and pain is still in my stomach and back.. Is this normal or should I be concern??

Maria

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
advertisement

Comments

• You have had a MAJOR surgery, six weeks is still way too early to be thinking you should have no problems, your body still needs time to heal the incisions, which can be quite large.
    Most people need up to a year to fuse and do what they want to. Your body needs time to heal, please don't rush into doing things that could hurt your spine.
    Many of us on this site know how frustrating it can be to take it easy but thats what you need to do (although walking is great for your recovery)
  • 6 weeks is still VERY early in my humble opinion.

It took me 6 months to feel kind of okay, 9 months to start feeling like the person I was before all this stuff.

It's been over a year and I still feel like I am healing and not 100%. I don't expect to ever really regain that 100% if I tell the truth. I'll always be watching what I do, what I feel I can't do and what hurts.

If it helps - I did have an anesthesiologist tell me that you can plan on a month for each hour you were under anesthesia before you can expect to feel like your old self. It's really played out to be true for me - and I've had 7 surgeries in 4 years to test it.
  • advertisement
  • The above posts are correct 6 weeks is still too early. I am 14 weeks post op now and I am still in pain. My surgeon said a year for surgery pain to ease up. He said he prescribed pain pills to take them and stay ahead of the pain. Even if I feel almost ok to keep taking them because the pain comes on at any time. After the pain is too high the pain pills do not work as well. I am still tired all the time, I require about 10 hours of sleep. More if I wake up in the middle of the night. I recently started massage therapy to help reduce pain. If it doesnt help at least it feels good for a half hour. Do not push your self to do to much to soon it will only exhaust you. Let your family spoil you and you take it easy, Major surgery is no Joke and you do not want to redo this operation.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Thank you for your reply...

"I hear comments from some saying you said slow recovery but this is slow" then I start thinking maybe there right!!!

Thank GOD for my husband and extended family they have been wonderful and very supportive.. I know I just need to be patient..

Maria~

Brain shunt 2000"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
  • MLT01 said:
    Thank you for your reply...

"I hear comments from some saying you said slow recovery but this is slow" then I start thinking maybe there right!!!

Thank GOD for my husband and extended family they have been wonderful and very supportive.. I know I just need to be patient..

Maria~

Brain shunt 2000"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
    Hi MLT, Yeah you must be patient and I know thats hard to do. I am now 4 months post op and I started massage treatments and finally feel much better. The pain is still there but its manageable for now. Hang in there and take it easy. There are many things you can do without adding to your pain level. I have been doing lots of cooking. I do all the light house work. Save any physical stuff for kids or hubby. I surf the web and play on laptop in bed. You have been through hell so let everyone spoil you. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Maria :)))

Hang in there, and yes, you are blessed to have a wonderful husband and family. It's very hard to be patient when you're used to being active.

Looking forward to hearing how you're going as the weeks go by.

>:D<

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement