Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery TOMORROW!

noseovertailnnoseovertail Posts: 387
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I decided to go ahead with the M.I. TLIF/laminectomy surgery after my nervousness and cold feet. I'm scheduled for tomorrow at 9:30am.

Does anyone have any last minute advice they'd like to share? Anything that you wish you took care of the day or night before surgery?

I went to Target yesterday and picked up everything I needed off the great post operative 'must haves' list on this forum. It's starting to finally feel real now! I'm sipping on my Metamucil as I type this.... :)
advertisement

Comments

• Good Luck,

Do you have a good TV and lots of videos? I watched tons while recovering.... There wasn't much else I could worry about. Have a grabber, elevated toilet seat and loose your shame :O)

I needed "all" kinds of help for the first 2 weeks at home.

Learn to be calm & satisfied with yoru help and always say THANK YOU. Let the housework & laundry pile up IT IS OK and it is not going any where.

Have a SUPER SURGERY!

Julie
  • I am sure you have all the necessities so I won't bother with mentioning those. I loved having a Netflix account while I was recovering. I wish you a safe and successful procedure. Hang in there, you're in the homestretch :)
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    Hope the surgery goes well, I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to hearing from you as soon as you feel up to it, so we know how you are.

TC
    Liz

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi! Sorry you haven't heard from me lately. I've been thinking about you often. I've said my prayers for you and your medical team and I will continue to do so.

The only thing I wish I had purchased prior to surgery was either satin sheets or satin pajama bottoms. Getting out of bed the first week felt like velcro was stuck to my backside - really hard to move in and out of bed. Drink as much water as you can once you are allowed. You will find the water helps to get your bowels moving again and it will give you practice getting in and out of bed :)

When in the hospital, use the pain meds and the patient controlled analgesic pump when you need it. Walk as much as you can while in the hospital. If you have steps in your house, make sure that physical/occupational therapy goes over this with you so you will feel comfortable once you go home. Also, if you have other obstacles at home such as a high bed or a high tub to step in, they'll help you figure out the best way to address these obstacles as well.

I'm thinking of you and I hope that you are at peace today and tomorrow morning. Relax today and try imagine a life with less pain :) It will soon be yours.
  • I have read your post and know you have struggled with this decision. We are praying for your surgeon and care givers that everything will go smoothly and will be a total success.

John 14:27
    27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
  • advertisement
  • I hope you have some help at home and someone to be with you when you get home. Try to get things up high to avoid bending over. Healing thoughts and a prayer O:) for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It'll be over before you know it (literally) and remember,..take one day at a time. :)

Good Luck.

~BB
  • I'm glad you reached a decision and I hope you are at peace with it. For a few days after surgery, you will probably feel like you made a big mistake...but this too will pass. I think most of us felt that way at one point in recovery, or another. It does get better.

As BB said, just take it one day at a time....look forward to hearing from you when you're up to it.

Blessings,
    Gwennie

• for successful surgery and speedy healing. As Gwennie says, you'll probably regret the decision for a few days after surgery, but it will get better. I too would recommend putting things up where you can easily reach them before you leave for the hospital.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • i am laying in the hospital bed right now. the surgery went well they said. im on a morphine pump and taking flexeril. i woke up with A LOT ALOT A LOT of pain, and I still have immense pain whenever I try to move or roll over in bed. the morphine makes me really nauseas so I'm not sure if I want them to give me something stronger.

I sure do hope this intesnse pain goes away soon. I'm pretty sure it's mostly where my incison is, but it's hard to tell. The hospital food has been disgusting, so I'm kinda hungry.
advertisement