Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

December surgeries

Comments

• yasmina said:
    Linda, you are absolutely right, and a lecture is exactly what I needed. I have a list of restrictions. Technically, I shouldn't even lift our miniature poodle, since he is WAY over 5 pounds.. (but he bites anyone else). I just dont know what got into me, but do know it won't happen again.

Okay...so I'm a November surgery, not December. But I get the whole feeling so good after getting so much sleep. You feel like you can take on the world...or at least a bit of housework. I too tried to clean house and paid for it for 2 weeks!!!!! I'm almost to week 6 now. mostly I'm feeling better. Not normal but better. I use the Vicoden only when absolutely necessary....like today. I thought I'd attempt to move back into my bedroom and sleep on the waterbed. AFter about 15 minutes of pain...it hit me. I'M NOT READY!!!! Duh....

Yasmina...you seem to be a "DOER"...you know. Likes to do and keep busy. Me too. I thought I'd love a few weeks of leisure but this isn't leisure...its making me crazy. I went out to JC Penney with my sister yesterday. I got bumped so many times I wanted to hit someone....myself mostly for being so dumb as to go to a busy store on a Saturday. So today...another day of rest. Geez....tired of these.

On Thursday I go for post op and xray. gonna find out why I signed consent for bone graft of MY OWN BONE and he used donor bone. A little weird considering someone else's bone in my body....I have issues.

Yasmina...thanks for inviting me to this post. since I don't get email alerts when someone sends me a message, it wasn't until today that I saw you sent me this. LOL....

Get better...take it easy (easier said than done...I know). I've read my whole library (I've got tons of books) and seen every movie including all of my daughter's chick flicks. Watching the Lake House now.

Get well to all of us! Having the surgery and suffering this pain now for a little while has got to be better than forever living in pain.

We have HOPE!
  • Sorry your surgery was cancelled. Have you seen the rheumatologist yet? What does s/he say?
  • advertisement
  • Had PLIF procedure L5-S1 on Dec. 17th and found the list of things u need post op was helpful. You find with these procedures that every doctor is a bit different. Before I had surgery I tried every possible solution known to man. From acupunture to actual minimally invasive surgery at at the Bonati institute, three years went by with little or no relief. Finally I went back to one of the surgeons that had seen me in 2007 and said...do it!!!

I am not in pain any longer...the shooting pain in my lower back and legs is gone. I just have the big discomfort of the incisions and I am so used to not walking that I am using new muscles and am sore every day. I was told to stop using the brace....anyone else been told that after only two weeks? Also, anyone return to work quickloy following surgery?

I work at a school, (guidance) so I can get up or sit down as I need to....just would like some feedback on timeline.

This forum is great!
  • Had PLIF procedure L5-S1 on Dec. 17th and found the list of things u need post op was helpful. You find with these procedures that every doctor is a bit different. Before I had surgery I tried every possible solution known to man. From acupunture to actual minimally invasive surgery at at the Bonati institute, three years went by with little or no relief. Finally I went back to one of the surgeons that had seen me in 2007 and said...do it!!!

I am not in pain any longer...the shooting pain in my lower back and legs is gone. I just have the big discomfort of the incisions and I am so used to not walking that I am using new muscles and am sore every day. I was told to stop using the brace....anyone else been told that after only two weeks? Also, anyone return to work quickloy following surgery?

I work at a school, (guidance) so I can get up or sit down as I need to....just would like some feedback on timeline.

This forum is great!
  • DNice,

I had 2 microsurgeries on the same disc 3 weeks apart after hearing a pop in my back rupturing (and spreading disc fragments) into my spine in June '08. Had the first surgery July 08 and the second 3 weeks later where he repaired both the original rupture in L5-S1 and also worked on the L4-L5.

This past Spring both discs herniated again not even showing on an MRI. Since I had persistent leg pain he recommended a fusion. I had that done June 09 where he found the herniations. My lumbar area is so much better.

Now a new problem...haha. Had an ACDF C5-C7 three years ago and now have pain across my upper back and down my arms at the C8 nerve root level. Have a call into my neurosurgeon but if he is going to do anything it will have to be within the next couple of days as my insurance runs out Dec 31...nice huh?? Will let you know what happens but am really curious what you did and how you are doing.
  • advertisement
  • I had C5/C6/C7 fusion on the 16th and doing great. I only wear the soft collar occasionally. I am getting nerve pain in my upper back and arms. I know it will take awhile for these nerves to heal. The pain in my neck is gone. I can move my head around with no pain, no pinching and no bones grinding. I have not had a headache since the surgery. The swelling in my neck is almost gone. I do have to be careful swallowing still but that is all. I know the road to recovery is a long one but I am amazed at how well I feel already.
  • do I qualify as a Dec surgery since mine was in November but I hit my head and set myself back 2 weeks in recovery???? =))

I have to find something to laugh about...this isn't funny...well, sometimes it is. but seeing as I'm set back two weeks...December might include me too. What do you think Yasmina?????
  • Ithink you are very welcome!!! Noone is getting too many surgeries now anyway since the holidays have slowed things down. You have my vote!! How do you feel?
  • How I feel depends on the day...today, 2 vicodens down...I'm feeling pretty good. I need activity though and its 22 degrees outside. yikes.

I'm honored to be included in the December topic!
  • countdown for me-Thursday is my spinal fusion
advertisement