Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Laptops or netbooks at the hospital

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For those of you who took them to the hospital for your post-surgery stay....did you take the laptop with you the day of surgery and how did you keep it safe in your room? How about plugging it in when the battery ran low? I'm thinking of having my husband have it with him and either give it to me the day of surgery or the next if I'm too out of it.

Let me know how you made it work for you.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 


  • My sis bruoght mine 2nd day and just plugged it in with my cell charger next to it and if they took me walking, it went in drawer, then closed door and cell went w me everywhere. Laptop and cell went to xray. One of the xray techs said I had to leave it, I told them they would have to come back for me once family arrived because I WAS NOT leaving them. He let me bring them of course.
  • I guess I wasn't too worried -

    I had my family keep it with my clothes while I was in surgery. Then if I was out walking around the nurses station I just covered it up in the chair next to my bed.

    I had the plug plugged into the wall the whole time. I safety-pinned the cord to my bedsheets for easy retrieval and plugged it into the laptop as needed.

    The only kicker - it would get SO hot! I finally figured out that if I propped it up against the little foodtray/table then it could vent under the table and only the front edge was on me.

    I did feel like I had to hide it from the nurses - not because of theft, but because I was supposed to be sleeping. Yeah right, like I can sleep in a hospital! Way too much going on and way too noisy.
  • advertisement
  • I thought about it, but felt it wasnt worth the hassles. Turns out, I wouldnt have used it. I was so out of it and especially sleepy. I dont think I would have used it enough, to make it worth the hastle.
  • I used mine a lot. Luckily I always had my husband or my parents in the hospital room with me, so I didn't have to worry about it being stolen. I'm so glad I had mine there though.
  • Once again, each person's experiences are so different. I was kept sufficiently medicated that I didn't do much of anything other than go with the PT when it was time and sleep or nap. I had my two surgeries at different hospitals but both had all single rooms, were quiet and reasonably calm. I brought nothing with me to the hospital for distraction or entertainment--I knew I wouldn't need it the first day and could ask my husband to bring whatever I wanted after that point, if I felt like doing anything. I did not even feel like watching TV -- I couldn't read for several weeks after surgery -- I didn't have the concentration and it was an effort to keep my eyes focused that long.

    For the second surgery, I was barely there long enough to do anything...so again, I took nothing. I even had my husband drop me off at the door and go on to work. I left my coat in the car and just took a tote bag and my insurance card...and the clothes I was wearing -- traveling light, so to speak!

  • advertisement
  • My wife had her laptop when she was in the room with me during my surgery. I thought I'd enjoy using it, but I had IV's and the Pulse/Ox sensor taped to my fingers which made typing very difficult. The worst though was that I was SO medicated that I couldn't concentrate enough to figure out how to type. Even four days post-op, I was still on the PCA/pain pump and no way could I use either the computer or even figure out how to text, for that matter! That dilaudid must have thrown me for a loop!
  • Everyone has a different experience. I guess a lot will depend on how long you are going to be there. Myself, for both surgeries, I was too out of it to concentrate or focus on much of anything. The first time the laptop just sat there under some magazines until I sent it home with my husband. The second time it didn't even make the trip. I LOVE to read and I found I couldn't even focus much on my book. Now once I got home, that was another story. I couldn't live without it on the couch or in my bed. It's a life saver.
    God Bless and keep us posted!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I am guessing I won't be too interested in using it unless they keep me longer and I get out of my "fog". The last few times I had surgery all I had the energy and ability to do was watch TV. I too love to read but I know that won't be an option until I can sufficiently focus. I expect to be highly medicated.

    My husband will come see me about once a day. I'm not one for hospital visitors and don't want anyone (family or friends) just sitting in the room with me. If I'm in pain I tend to want to isolate myself more and that helps me get through it. So at the beginning I'll have him call me before he comes each day to see if I want him to bring the netbook with him.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • That sounds like a good plan.

    I too like to cocoon and isolate when I'm recovering. It's annoying to have hospital visitors.
  • I took mine to the hospital. Maybe I was just naive and/or lucky, but I left it, my cell, and my kindle laying around. Nothing ever happened, and I enjoyed using it, as I couldn't concentrate enough to read.
Sign In or Register to comment.