Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Negative MRI Frustrated

Comments

• Hi Weezle, I read your last post, are you feeling any better today. PT can be painful at first but should be subsiding. I think the explanation that the PT gave you (in post #5) is plausable and you should let them work with you for a while.
    I've learned not to get caught up in tests and explanations but to go with the flow and see if PT will help.

The fact that the pain is "moving" around (" got to a point where the pain only went to the top of my knee") is a good sign.

By all means if you have concearns then you should ask them for an explaination.

Another point if it applies is if you are overweight then losing weight would help alot.
    O
  • When I herniated a disk pretty badly what seems like a zillion years ago, losing a lot of weight (I think I lost about 40 lbs on weight watchers) helped IMMENSELY! So much that by the time I even got to see the orthopedic surgeon with my MRI in hand my symptoms were almost gone! (it was only about 8-9 years ago, I don't know why it seems so long ago!). The ortho explained that it was because less weight pressing on the disk actually allows it to decompress and heal.

Unfortunately if you break bones it's not so easy, so don't do that ;)

• advertisement
  • Thanks ozone and happy. I am not overweight, I am 132 lbs and my dr. actually asked me the other day if I was on a diet because since accident I have lost 4 lbs non intentionally.
    A lil update - I was feeling ok after Fridays PT session. Woke up Sunday morning to get ready for church and could not walk at all. I mean I stood up and thats all I could do the pain was too bad, until I had to go to the bathroom which took me 5 minutes to walk 20ft. I was in pain. Went back to bed and stayed there till 12:30ish and when I got up I was able to hobble around a bit. Later on in the day I was kinda rubbing my lower back due to pain and found a lump in my low back. Had hubby feel it so I know mI am not crazy. He thinks it is a muscle. I agree. By the time I went to bed it was HUGE.
    Wake up this morning and now I am developing a bruise where the lump is and where my low back pain is at.

Good news - I am getting copies of my scans on thursday, on a CD. And without paying for them. I am glad to have them in case I want to go to another dr for another opinion.

• Well, then it probably won't help much, lol!

Good luck with the medical stuff!
  • Weezle, I've had more pain while in PT than I had going in to PT but I think your getting too much pain. I would bring it up to the PT and ask them if it's necessary to be in so much pain?
    By any chance were you or are you athletic?
    Gymnist maybe? Anything that has stressed your lower back?
  • advertisement
  • I was thinking that lump you found was a trigger point but I never heard of one developing a bruise over it. Trigger points are very painful, esp when you mess with one. Have you tried using an ice pack on the area? I hope they figure out what's going on with your back soon and get you feeling better. Take care
  • I have had bruises and swelling from deep tissue work at physical therapy. Is it an area your PT was working on?
  • If the deep tissue massage is going to be effective it is going to hurt - alot. The whole point is to breakup the fibers of the muscles so they can straighten out. All this is done through your skin and soft tissue.

Ice and time helps.
  • sorry for taking so long to reply.

I spoke with PT and she was very concerned yet no one mentioned calling the dr. ??
    The only thing that PT is doing is using electro stimulation on back and right hip with heat. After that she uses ultrasound. Then she checks to see if I am in alignment. Which first day I was not but have been since then. Then she does different decompression techniques to help with the nerve issues. Then the last thing after messing with it that long is she ices it. Then I am done and wobble out the door. That day I am ok, but the next day I am crying.

Now the decompression techniques have worked to a degree but I am in an enormous amount of pain. I cannot sit at all, I am standing to type this. But cannot stand to long in one position either. If I move around slowly while standing I can do it for about 10 min, then I try to sit ....yea ok. So I have to lay down. Sitting the 5 minutes it take to get to PT every other day is horrendous. The best position I'm finding is like the say flat on my back or laying on left side.

I was very athletic in school, volleyball, cross country runner.....all that. Then I was not for a while and got back into running again and was doing about 20-25 miles a week along with regular exercise, until I got hurt.

The bruise is located about a half inch literally right above (sorry) my bum crack (lol) and it is about half inch to inch round bruise. Reddish purple in color and hasnt changed much since coming out. Now if you draw a line, 2 inch length, diagonaly up from that bruise out like making a v. at the end of both lines there are 2 more blueish green bruises very light.
    They are very weird and freakn me out a lil bit.

No deep tissue massages ......yet

Ice every other day at PT and every night before bed as well as sometime through day if it starts to feel tight.

I tried to walk through walmart tonight and couldnt do it for more then 10-15 min.. the pain is getting to be tooo much.

Ok so that took me 25 min to type cause I had to move and come back to it but I hope I answered everything..

Now a question from me. The muscles between my shoulders are getting very sore and aching..is this because of the decreased activity from the injury ?

I know it may be too much to ask but I just wish that someone would find an explaination for the pain and then give me some good drugs to take it away or do something that makes it feel better.

Vicodin is NOT working, two 750mg tabs every 4 hours and still feeling it.

Sorry so long.
  • Seems to me that your pain is more nerve than muscle. Different meds work diff ways.

Tomorrow call your doctor. Explain what your back looks like. And also tell him about the pain.

To be honest if he won't listen it's time for a new doc.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.