I have been diagnosed with cervical spondylotic myelopathy, have 4 disc in my neck pressing on my spinal cord causing numbness in both arms/hands and some pain in my neck. Neurosurgeon says it's my choice. I may opt for pysical therapy & traction now & wait for the surgery or I may have the surgery now to prevent furthur damage to the spinal cord. I was all for let's just fix it now, but it's a little scary after reading your posts.
Here is my thoughts/problems. I am in retail mgmt. I work physically hard. I need to work & want to work. I'm looking at being promoted & moved out of state within the next 3 months if I stay with my current employer. My current employer requires constant physical work even at the MGR level.........or I'm looking at getting a better paying retail mgmt job in a different state within the next 2 months where I will be a Mgr that delegates most of the physical work but has more stress mentally.
My insurance now will pay for the surgery because I have no pre-existing condition. However, I am afraid if I put the surgery off & have it say 1-2 years from now, my insurance I have then with a new employer will not pay since it will then be considered a pre-existing condition. Also.... I am concerned my symptoms will get worse quickly. The things that could happen & the rate of which you can deteriorate , I read, are uncertain. Some people deteriorate slowly, others fast.