Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Shin and Foot Cramping Over Night

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It's interesting that you mention the potassium level as I'm on theophylline tablets and some things taken with them can alter my theophylline levels in the blood that interferes with the potassium levels. (Med for chronic asthma) anyhow I wake up several times with awful pains in my shins and my calves badly cramping and I'd never even thought about potassium until I Googled the symptoms as it isn't normal cramp it found this thread. Maybe potassium levels do effect it. When I get up in the morning the pains still there it feels as though I've been dancing all night an hurts to go down the next stair although it wears off during the day most days. Did you ever get any more answers?
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Leg shin cramps are horrible! I have had other leg cramps, but found that I can get some control on if they happen at night or not with a 'milk-cocktail' I make up.  I use instant non-fat dry milk powder, and mix it very think... 3/4 c. to ...about 1/4 c-1/2 c. water, then add 1/8-1/4 c. canned milk. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of salt, as I don't eat salt, and want this night-time cocktail to stay in me for awhile! I've tried every home remedy I've ever heard of, and I also keep a bar of Fels Naptha in bed with me. It helps to keep from pointing your feet in bed.  I now lay with my legs stretched out straight, not with knees bent, so feet won't point.  I also usually drink 2 16-oz bottles of water before bed, and stop any coffee by 5:30 PM, and switch to herbal teas...chamomile and other natural relaxants. Usually, if I stay aware of my own body, and try to have the milk cocktail ...'as needed...', I hardly ever get the horrible waking up cramps. Some nights I will have 2-3 of those 'milk-cocktails', if I go ..." Oh, those are SO good", and I feel like I'm craving them, as I think it is our body's way of saying more!  It is how I get tons of Calcium, with lots of Potassium in there, when I need it most.  The non-fat powdered milk has a lot more than any plain milk. Hope it helps someone, as I've talked to everyone, tried drinking salt at night, tried everything, and finally decided to see if it could be helped by Calcium. 
  • baholmanbbaholman CaliforniaPosts: 1
    I eat a teaspoon of Yellow mustard and it seems to take the cramps away pretty quickly.  Hope it works for you.  I keep the little packets of mustard on my bedstand so I don't even have to get out of bed.  Just open and suck the mustard out.  
  • advertisement
  • chris-in-paincchris-in-pain Houston Texas Posts: 1
    Hey Jeff, 
    I didn't actually read the whole thread, but I have a question, getter to the point. Ok, so I have these pains similar to what you are describing. The pain from the mid shin area to the big toe/middle finger toe. Its a cramp that I honestly have a hard time describing. Either way it is by far the most ridiculous and agonizing pain I've experienced in a month or so. Never the less, if you can possibly shed some light on the subject I'd be extremely grateful for your help and time. This pain is very very much what your talking about damn near to the  -T-. .
    New to this site Perhaps you can email me directly.
    Thanks. Or hopefully I can figure out how to be in contact with this site. 
    Hope to hear from you. 
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,643
    Hello Chris
    This is a very old discussion created by a member who has not been on the forum for 4 years so will not respond. I am closing the discussion. You would get more support by creating a new discussion.

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.