Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

denied pain meds

SteveSSteve Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hello all, I'm in a real situation and would really appreiciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

Here we go..

I am a paraplegic who has some how ended up disconnected from the pain management community, since a pharmacist with an over active imagination told a doctor that I was "doctor shopping."

I can tell you that in my 11 years in a wheelchair, suffering from neuropathic pain secondary to a SCI, I have never abused a prescription and can prove it. Now the university hospital that I was establishing myself with has seized the script for Opana they wrote and broken all bridges with me. I feel like I am alone floating in the middle of the ocean. Thank God for spell check because I'm in such blinding pain that I feel as if I'm writing and spelling on a fourth grade level..

My GP has since called the pharmacist to tell him that I was in fact not shopping, rather just following the bouncing ball of referrals. Now satisfied that I am legitimate, the pharmacist is actually trying to help me find a PM doctor. However, the damage is done and I have gone four months without pain meds, with the minor exception of 2 Vicodin a day from the GP.

I might tell you that my previous doctor of three years has lost my records. Most likely because he was giving me enough meds for Anna Nicole Smith, although I would either not fill them all, order them every 45 days or just put them aside for a rainy day. That rainy day has come and gone. I'm sorry if I am over selling my situation, but I have been put in that situation so many times that I feel as if I have to prove that I'm not a junkie. By the way, that's the reason I'm a T-11 para. My doctors though I was faking, turned me away and two days later I slipped a disc while sleeping which ruptured my spinal cord.

Sorry for the epic email. I wonder if there is any guidance that you can give me. I need to be treated. The local PM center won't accept me and even the ER has turned me away. Now I am doctor shopping!, shopping for a doctor who will help me! Have I been centrally blacklisted? Is there such a thing? Do I have any legal recourse? I am so frustrated that I want to make the responsible parties hurt as much as I have.

It is perhaps a good thing that I see a therapist, although part of that deal is that I must meet with their physiatrist once a month for 15 minutes. When I asked him where they refer PM patients he said he was going to report me to the DEA. What on God's green earth is going on....

Thank you so much for indulging me.

Sincerely,

Steve

advertisement

Comments

• Steve, there is, I believe, a central registry for pharmacies that you might be listed on. You can ask the pharmacist if he listed you.

Beyond that, can't your GP help you? Or any of your other regular doctors? I can't understand why they can't call an out-of-area PM doctor and explain the situation. Nor, to tell you the truth, why he can't just give you the medication you need (many people here get their full meds from their GPs).

For that matter, I don't understand why he didn't call the previous PM doctor and explain the situation?
  • Welcome to Spine Health Steve :)

I am confused. I know your in pain, but can you please try to clarify these statements.
    "My GP has since called the pharmacist to tell him that I was in fact not shopping, rather just following the bouncing ball of referrals. Now satisfied that I am legitimate, the pharmacist is actually trying to help me find a PM doctor. However, the damage is done and I have gone four months without pain meds, with the minor exception of 2 Vicodin a day from the GP.

I might tell you that my previous doctor of three years has lost my records. Most likely because he was giving me enough meds for Anna Nicole Smith, although I would either not fill them all, order them every 45 days or just put them aside for a rainy day. That rainy day has come and gone. I'm sorry if I am over selling my situation, but I have been put in that situation so many times that I feel as if I have to prove that I'm not a junkie."
    It sounds like you have had a PM for the last 3 years that was over medicating you and you are admitting this? Am I on track?

And it sound like you may have a new primary care doctor who is helping you but is afraid to give you anything much? My PCP was the same way.

Steve, can you tell use what kind of symptoms and pain levels you are having and what you were taking in the past? I am just curious.

Feel Better >:D<

Julie
  • advertisement
  • major bummer steve. i have actually gone to the ER and taken my bottle of meds from my family doctor with me rather than take the ER doctors prescription/pills, 'cause i've been worried about getting caught in a similar conundrum. anyway, i'm having a particularly bad pain episode now so am probably talking in circles, but i just wanted to say that your post resonated with me. i don't have the discipline to write something drawn out right now, but i just wanted to say bummer man. i at some point may send you a private message because i have a prominent T10-11 herniation, and i fear paralysis if i fall or have some sort of trauma, so i wanted to hear more about your issues prior to your VERY unfortunate paralysis.
  • I am one of the lucky ones for the time being. I have a family doctor unless he decides to retire. If that happens,and I hope it doesn't, I will find myself in the same boat as so many NL citizens with no family doctor. The situation is much more prevalent than most people think.

advertisement