Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Multiple ADR - Total Disc Replacements S1, L3, L4

ShawnJSShawnJ Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I am debating on getting multiple artifical disc replacements out of the United States. Has anyone experienced surgery out of states?

And if Europe has been doing multiple ADR for many years, why has the U.S. only approved lower lumbar fusion and only single level disc replacements?

Are we behind in our technology or is Europe ?

Will doctors in the United States ever offer multiple artificial disc replacements?
advertisement

Comments

• Shawn,
    I'm not sure I understand your questions. I had ADR at L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 done at the same time in the US.
  • ShawnJ said:
    I am debating on getting multiple artifical disc replacements out of the United States. Has anyone experienced surgery out of states?
    "I had a three-level ADR in Straubing, Germany in Aug 2003. My surgery was performed by Dr. Bertagnoli."

And if Europe has been doing multiple ADR for many years, why has the U.S. only approved lower lumbar fusion and only single level disc replacements?
    "I think that Europe is ahead if the US in the area of spine surgery. We do have financial incentive-based practices in the US. I think that our spine surgeons would do more ADR in the future. In socialized medicine the more funtional outcomes for surgery of the spine has a positive benefit for the government. I think that if it is good for the people, it is good for the government."

Are we behind in our technology or is Europe ?

Will doctors in the United States ever offer multiple artificial disc replacements?
    "there are ADR forums that have a lot of information to assist you in your decision on ADR."
  • advertisement
  • How did your 3 level adr turn out saultup? I had only single level adr and ended up having it fused l4l5. I had mine in 2004 as trial basis before fda aproval , i am sure they by now doing multiple levels here in the usa shawn'. Alex,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • It has been one year and I am doing okay. In addition to the 3 level ADR, I did have fusion on L2-L3 because the disc couldn't be easilly accessed. The surgery was tough. I do have other hardware in place to help stablize the spine. The recovery has slow and long. No pain in the back. No pain meds for the back. I'm faithful to stretching and exercising. That part has gone well.
    I do have difficulties from an earlier surgery where the nerves were severely damaged to my right leg. It was hoped that it was just nerve irritation and not permanet damage but it certainly appears to be permanent damage. That is a bummer.
    I'm able to stand without pain and sit without pain. I can move about, do chores, etc. and I am ready to garden. The pain I have is the nerve shocks that are in the lower leg and foot. Plus, I have lost strength in my leg which makes walking difficult, but hey, no back pain!
    I had surgery at a clinic that specializes in spine issues some 400 miles away. I am glad I went there for the second surgery.
  • opps. duplicate post. Sorry.
  • advertisement

• the exercise represent our ethos to inspire change through creativity and aim to make people stop and thinking about the bigger picture. thank you
    birthday wishes
  • I need to clarify what happened in my surgery last year for I did not have a three level ADR. I had three discs removed (L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1) and they were replaced with spacers (not ADR's) and with cages and filled with bone. There was also front and back fusion at these levels plus fusion at L2-L3. Actually, I regained 2 inches in height. I just saw my surgeon and got the clarification. I am sorry the misinformation.
  • Ok got it. Now i understand. They do multiple levels of adr but most insurance wont aprove it. There are a few here who had adr along with fusion on other levels and some are ok i guess. I had single level and failed and caused more damage then it was worth as many others it seems. Actualy i just ran across a website for failed adr and i cant believe the story they tell how they are also damaged for life and nothing dr,s can do for them.

There are much more failed adr then we would like to admit and so many wanting the adr because its new in the usa but i read many failed adr even who had it done in germany so surgery comes with a high risk it dont mater how you slice it. Any surgery can make you or break you.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am sorry that your ADR didn't work and you ended up with more nerve pain. That is a bummer big time. Those stories on the web about other failed ADRs are awful. Nerve pain is so hard to deal with. Hang in there!
  • Post removed by Authority Member Liz
advertisement