Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dr.'s are not helping

advertisement

Comments

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    There are many long acting medications that may work well along with medications for nerve pain if that is an issue (neuronton, lyrica, etc). My PM and I worked together on a combination of MS Contin for long acting, percocet for break through pain, Soma as needed and Neurontin 3x a day. I have occasionally seen ads for medication in Pain Pathways magazine and I'll ask my PM doctor, but I let him pick the best options.

When I had my recent surgery (I have very lax ligaments thus my spine doesn't hold together well) I always tell my surgeon "do extra levels if needed". Surgery is a personal choice but I'll do any surgery any time to relieve any amount of pain and dysfunction.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • So today at PM my Dr told me that I would have to go to my reg. Dr and have him write my scripts. She told me that they won't write pain med scripts for more than 2-3 months. She said that they mainly do injections there. ???? I told her that my reg Dr and N.Surgeon told me to go to PM for my meds for chronic pain. She also told me that if she did Rx for Soma she would only do 2x day. So I explained how I have been on Soma 3X day for the last 2 years and my Friday night visit to the ER the Dr did Rx for Soma 4x day and told me to have my PM Dr do the same. She asked how my pain was and I told her that my 5mg oxycodone 4x day could only bring my pain down to a 7 if I do nothing but lay around. She said she would not give me anything stronger. She asked about my pain and I explained that it was not all nerve pain. I have had 2 N.Surgeons tell me I had an unstable lumbar spine with bone-on-bone contact. I explained I had DDD in two discs and 2 annular tears. She told me she didn't think my spine was unstable because the surgeons would not give me the option of a fusion and it would be necessary as I could fall and become paralyzed. ???? This is the point where I lost it and became to bitch. After my 15 min rant she said she would do soma 3x, 5mg oxy 4x, 50mg amitripyline 1x.
    So, I guess I'll go back to my Dr and say the hell with PM as this is the only one within 1.5hrs from where I live.
    She also told me that she didn't understand why I thought Soma worked. She said it doesn't and it was all in my head. She also said the same about Oxycodone. She said there were lots of pain killers that REALLY work. ????? WTF I told her that I do research on any med before I take it and she thought that was a bad idea because then I would talk myself into "THINKING" it will work or won't. She said I probably do to much research and over analyze. WOW!! What a day.
  • advertisement
  • Lucky said:
    So today at PM my Dr told me that I would have to go to my reg. Dr and have him write my scripts. She told me that they won't write pain med scripts for more than 2-3 months.
    Some PMDrs get you on a schedule and then fax the report to your regular PCP, who can then pick up the management of your pain from there. It seems that some Drs are happy just getting your pain/medication validated by PM before they feel comfortable continuing your treatment.They can also cover the injections that your PCP can't (or doesn't) do.
    Lucky said:
    Friday night visit to the ER the Dr did Rx for Soma 4x day and told me to have my PM Dr do the same.
    Most PMDrs don't take kindly to another Dr telling them how/what to Rx their patients, as a matter of fact this may have the opposite affect of that which you might have been hoping for.
    Lucky said:
    She asked how my pain was and I told her that my 5mg oxycodone 4x day could only bring my pain down to a 7 if I do nothing but lay around. .......... This is the point where I lost it and became to bitch. After my 15 min rant she said she would do soma 3x, 5mg oxy 4x, 50mg amitripyline 1x.
    So, I guess I'll go back to my Dr and say the hell with PM as this is the only one within 1.5hrs from where I live. .........She said I probably do to much research and over analyze.
    I've always found it best to let the Dr know my pain levels and goals to see where we can go in treatment and having a plan as far as that goes. I don't think that a bad attitude is going to help the situation at all, and may even hurt you not only with this PMDr, but in future, as a direct result of you losing it and your attitude, this will more than likely be charted in your permanent records for any future Dr/s who may evaluate your chart.
    At least your regular Dr knows you I presume, and will understand why you became frustrated with the PMDr. Hopefully your PCP will help you manage your pain.
  • Does anyone know what would be the best hospital/clinic for spine problems? I am willing to travel to get the best treatment for my back. I would really like to see a top level surgeon.
  • I think there a many great hospitals that specialize with the spine. The question is...how far a travel is worth it for follow ups. Being in the car for long is only going to add to the damage.

Considering you are in Syracuse...maybe some folks can PM you ideas.

What you might want to do is consult a specialty group (like Hospital for Special surgeries or Cleveland clinic). I equate it to how my mom handled cancer. She had a local doctor she trusted and would always spend time with her. However, she wanted to be sure she was picking the best treatment and really weighed all options. So she would use Sloan in NYC for consultative purposes (periodically) and then use the local oncologist for treatment.

You might also want to realize "top surgeon" is really speculative in nature. I tried looking for information but most surgeon's are rated by their peers, or by how few lawsuits are brought against them, etc.

• advertisement
  • I live near NYC and ended up with a NS at a university hospital. He is said to be one of the best spine surgeons in the area. I asked around and meet a few and ended up with him. I'm only 10 weeks post-op, so it's hard for me to say if the surgery was a success. I am better overall, but still recovering. If you would like to know his name and affiliated hospital, I can PM you. Just let me know! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • How many people ,who have had multi-level fusions in the lumbar area, ended up with 2nd, 3rd or more surgeries after the 1st. I would like to hear about problems you may of had and how long was it before your 2nd, 3rd, etc.....
advertisement