Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Morning Problems!

Friend of Bill WFFriend of Bill W Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
i was wondering if anyone else feels this way or what is it from? I wake up in the morning and am so tired and lethargic and this is abnormal for my personality, im on 80 mg methadone once a day an prozac with soma for muscle pain. Even after I take the methadone usually first thing in the morning , I still feel like I got run over by a train. I have an appointment with a new pm doc sept 19, so any input would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Feel the same here, but I have to get up and move several times through the night, or getting up out of bed is almost impossible. Maybe try some light stretching before getting out of the bed, and see if that helps to loosen things up some.
  • Sure let your Pain Dr. know how you're doing feeling tired all day. I know my muscle relaxant knocks me out but I have continued exhaustion all day and am going for a Sleep Study end of September to make sure there's no problems with tonsils obstructing my breathing or if I have sleep apnea.

My Family Dr. ordered this test first before changing the meds I take. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • You might also want to get referred for a sleep study to be done. Many of us with chronic pain issues have sleep apnea as well. Your breathing will stop many times throughout the night, which keeps you out of REM sleep, so even though you are "sleeping" you're not getting the proper deep sleep that you should be. This can cause tiredness throughout the day.

Oh, lol I just read Charry's response. I went for a sleep study earlier this year and found out I was "waking up" on average 28 times in an hour! Yes, I was always exhausted, and I'm only diagnosed with mild apnea. I now have a cpap machine, which helps you breathe during the night, and it really does help. However, now that I sleep more soundly, I don't move as much and wake up with severe stiffness and it still takes me a good hour to get moving. If it's not one thing, it's another...
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • morning pain is about the worst for many back pain sufferers .last night instead of my 2 hours sleep i got 1 hours and 40 minutes ! still woke in agony ..you have our sympathy unfortunately your back cramps up at night and other things happen and the end result is pain ..so we are woken up .its hell
    {}{i find my acticare TENS helps along with my oxycontin .another good device is the homedics massage its like a mat that you put on your chair and you get a good deep massage
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have been having the same issue. I will go to bed and when I finally get to sleep I know I am not sleeping well. I try to get up in the morning & my legs barely move & it's as if there's a knife stuck in the center of my lower back. I am constantly jerking & waking up all times of the night along with having pain while I sleep. Hubby says I moan & cry sometimes & rub my legs all while sleeping. I have to take my meds & lay there until I can get enough relief that I can log roll myself out of bed and do that initial "first morning stand up". That is the exact moment I feel like my bones are going to collapse. Honestly, after being awake after about an hour or so I can't keep my eyes open & have to take a nap. Lol, an actual morning nap! I swear I thought I had major laziness until I came here & saw I was not alone in this. I know I saw a similar post somewhere in here. Does any of that sound familiar? Don't follow my lead, I haven't mentioned it to my doc because I don't want to go in with a new complaint every time. I just want to recouperate from my issues and if I have to sleep, I guess I'm just going to help myself to la-la land. If you're worried & can't function I would definitely mention it.
    I hope you can find a solution to your problem & get some rest. Best wishes!
  • advertisement
  • when i am sleeping this happens ..i start to moan then even cry .then my legs are all over the place then eventually i wake up hot and sometime sweating through pain .and when i have to get out of bed {we have a pair of electrical adjustable beds .she can hear the motor of the back rest getting me up and me swearing!! then she knows i am up ..then its downstairs TENS on cup of tea /pain killers and then on the recliner /watch TV and hopefully get a few more hours sleep ..so you are not on your own {male 45}
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have the same problem, except I rarely take meds because I have to wake up with the kids in the morning. Even without taking the meds, I wake up feeling like I barely slept. No matter how much sleep I've gotten, I still feel unrested, and I've struggled with this for years. I don't even bother talking to my doctors about it anymore, because they just brush it off to having three small children.
  • Before you go into sleep studies and other things. Get your blood tested. Thorough physical. Get a full hormone panel run also, regardless of which sex you are. Sometimes it is as simple as having a deficit of something your body needs. Especially people who takes lots of meds and/or powerful ones. They tend to strip your body of other things or prevent your body from making them. Part of the double-edged sword from taking pain meds. Nothing is free.
  • So true, a lot of us tend to be B12 and/or D deficient, which will also cause drowsiness. B12 deficiency can also cause neuropathy and numbness and tingling in your extremities.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Waking up sucks, I have a routine and feel like crap in the mornings, if I do not follow my routine my pain is worse all day and I am more miserable then usual .. I think with the pain even tho we sleep it is not a good sleep, I know my Husband ( as of Sat :) tells me that I moan and move all over the bed during the night. He says sometimes I cry... if I do happen to sleep too long without getting up and moving the pain is horrible. I am up every two to three hours a night just to move, pee ect... and do not stay in bed more then 5-6 hours which compared to most on here is alot. If I stay in bed longer then that even with the breaks I can barely move all day... I feel like crap. My medications do not make me lethargic anymore, but did in the beginning. I have learned that I feel better if I do not do one thing to long... up take medications asap, go to computer surf around for a while get up every fifteen twenty minutes walk around house ... wait for meds to kick in lol ..ect .. u can imagine .. I sound so pathetic ... finally got my back brace from comp and it is helping wonders ...
    I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling rejuvenated
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.