Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Pain! It is controlling ALL my life!

Comments

• Thank You Tony :)

I guess I am just wanting the best of both worlds. The good nights sleep AND to be able to wake up well rested.

My night meds do give me a very good nights sleep - for which Ia m thankful for after not getting good sleep before these meds for many years.

I just can't wake up and feel well rested with these meds unless I sleep about 10 hrs a night.

Like I said "I want it all" :D Yeah I know who doesn't ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Welcome back! I was starting to worry about you. Sorry to hear of your fall - are you feeling any better? As for sleeping "10 freaking hours", don't be mad about it, your body needed it is all!

Hoping you are feeling better. Pain sux, but unfortunately we are pretty well stuck with it, and need to adjust around it where we can. Gentle support *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • Tony,
    I really enjoyed your post! So much so I sent it to a few friends who also suffer sleep problems from pain. It was very interesting to learn how your brain works and wakes you up no matter what because of the pain. I too struggle from pain and sleep problems, I would love to get 10 hours of sleep!! It feels like you are going crazy. No one understands this problem I have sleeping at night. No matter how many times I tell him my husband always says if you are so tired why don't you just go to bed earlier...lol No one in my family gets it! What's the point of going to bed if you can't sleep!! I like to stay up awhile at night because I dread nighttime because it's the worst for me. My pain is the worst at night and I can't sleep. At first I just started with melatonin and my pain pill at bedtime. Now I am up to three different sleeping pills a night, plus my pain medication and still can't sleep more than two to three hours at a time. I can be in the middle of a deep sleep and even dreaming and suddenly my eyes will just pop open. And I always know exactly what time it is...lol Then I have to get up and walk around for awhile, take more pain medicine, go to the restroom, get a drink etc.. Then I can finally lay back down and drift off to sleep. It's a viscous cycle. Then everyone wonders why I am so tired I have to take a nap during the day. I also make no early morning appointments or anything because I just can't get going early anymore. I am finally at the point of surgery next month and hoping fora miracle to get some of my life back and hopefully after healing be able to sleep again but I have a feeling I will have pain forever. Two years ago I had a diseconomy on my neck and now have pain there again too. So after my back surgery will be looking at the neck again to see what's going on. Anyway didn't mean to ramble just thought your post was interesting considering that's my big battle going on right now. In fact family members tell me they know I didn't sleep the night before because I had sent them emails at 2 am!, LOL
  • Hi Brenda :wave: and Thank you! :)

the problem is my body ALWAYS needs 10 hrs of sleep and takes me 2 to 3 hrs to GET to sleep - so there goes about 13 hrs of my day every day :(

Not counting the 2 to 3 hrs after I wake up to get pain meds in me and allow to get moving. Does not leave to many hrs a day to live - ya know :sigh:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • There are times when I sleep 10 hours, but it's broken, I always wake up every hour or two because I have to roll over because my whole body is seized up in spasms and pain. And I have to completely wake up to be able to roll over as others have mentioned earlier, it's a process. But when I stay in bed that long, it takes hours to be able to move the next day. So, most of the time, I only sleep maybe 4 hours a night, and that's with waking up in between. And there's always one night a week where I don't sleep at all, I don't know why. Well, it's usually because I've overdone it that day and just can not get comfortable no matter what I do. So, I'm pretty much exhausted all the time. I'd say if I'm lucky I'll catch a nap in my recliner in the afternoon, but then it's harder to fall asleep at night when I do, until I drop from sheer exhaustion. It's just a nasty cycle. I normally don't get to sleep until about 4 am. My meds don't make me tired anymore, and I don't take my sleep med unless I have a morning appointment the next day, and a lot of times even then that doesn't work. I do breathing and relaxation exercises, meditation, have white noise, use a cpap machine, I've tried everything. I just can't sleep for any amount of time. I would give my left arm to feel rested again! (of course that's the one that's partially paralyzed, haha)
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • advertisement
  • I hear ya woman! I have those where I get 3-5, get up, cat nap in my recliner for a few, get up, another cat nap - yeah kinda messes up the day at times for sure! I just try to work with it anymore vs fight it.

I guess I've decided I had to adjust to yet another 'new me' and what my body demands, as we "don't" have control all the time what we need to do. Sniff... I have to find yet another sleep position as the one that worked for a while, back to waking with headaches. Ach...hate them!!! Beth remember, if it isn't one thing, it's another. (G)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I feel for all of you...I have almost thrown in the towel myself.I now only sleep every other day. Obviously I don't have much of a life living like this but it is somewhat easier. Its a vicious cycle sometimes. The pain prevents me from falling asleep and it wakes me if I do get to sleep. What do they call that? A catch 22 if you will. I don't know about the rest of you but I have been living with excruciating constant pain for about 35 years! and no I'm not exaggerating in the least. I have always toughed it out as most don't get it, and even Doctors have doubted me on several occasions.I have been on the opiate and anti inflamatories roller coaster since high school, and I am now 54 years old. I have yet to see much in the way of relief.And the few surgeries that I have had are now forming scar tissue and a whole new set of pain. I have had so many injections that one Doctor even said he had to stop injecting me because it had become against his Hippocratic oath ! And the surgeon he sent me to said that there was nothing he could do for me as My condition was so advanced. I have been told that I have a spine of a 90 year just this year, and again I'm only 54.So I take excessive amounts of oral medications and the same for epidural injections. My one and only wish in life is to someday get at least partial relief from pain... as there has been no relief thus far, and I'm kind of getting tired. I'm not considering any drastic measures of a weakened mind or anything. I'm just literally getting very tired.
    Good luck to you all!! And I hope that we all get some very needed relief sometime!!
  • Sleep Update:

Weds & Thursday I was forced to gt up much earlier then normal. We are having our bathroom redone and the work men were coming at 9AM, so I was up at 8 each day to wake up and be dressed, have dog walked etc before the men arrived.
    I was quite surprised that I did pretty well! :D

I was sleeping by 11:30 both night and was able to stay awake with no naps during the day.

I think in part my success was due to I was kept quite busy with moving things, keeping dog out of their way and stuff.

Today I did not get up until 10 AM having went to sleep at 1 AM.

So I think that I have figured this out from talking with all of you and the way the past 3 days have went.

My summary is:

I think my night meds will ALLOW me to sleep for 10 hours but that I CAN force myself to get up after 8 IF I know I have to and then the key is to keep BUSY!!

I am SO thankful to each of you for helping me through this. I am very appreciative to each of you for sharing with me :hug:
  • going to sleep isn't the problem..staying asleep is!

I used to go to bed early..like 8 pm early! Now, if I can fall asleep before 11 I am doing good. I get up at 5:30 to get the kids up and get ready for work. My alarm goes off..hit snooze..then just lay there and try to get motivated enough to get out of bed.

we have a 2 story house so going upstairs every morning is not fun. i literally just look up and want to cry..then slowly make my way up them. i notice it is definitely taking me longer to get ready these days. I get hot, start sweating..sit down and cool off..stand back up, put some more clothes on..sit back down, etc. I'm so worn out from the lack of sleep and dealing with a hyperactive 5 year old boy makes for a cranky mommy.

If I could just stay asleep I think that would help. I wake up to change positions..get up to pee..get situated again..horrible cycle that just keeps happening. I do not take anything at night as I am too groggy in the morning to function. Weekendsa re my only relief as that is when I catch up on some much needed sleep.

MsHumptyDumpty I am so jealous of your 10 hours! I am glad you got some rest and were able to get through the past few days :)

connie
  • connie - I do remember the yrs I suffered the same way you do. It was torture. I am grateful that I finally have the right meds to help me sleep.

:hug: to you :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.