Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

If you want anything done right

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Chronic Pain
then you'll have to do it yourself!
I took my wood splitter in for some carburetor work and some other minor work. Because I can't do it anymore. what a joke!!! Everything was done wrong. And I can't believe this guy can hold down a job.
Over the last 8 or 9 years I could "pill up" and get some things done. But as time went by, I had to take the pills just to make it through the day. And now they don't even cover the pain when I do nothing physical at all. And some people wonder why you can't manage to fight off depression! After all people come back from the war with no legs at all. and you've got the nerve to cry cause you can't use yours. At least I still have them, right???
Well I'm Just complaining,
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• ugh!! I feel your frustration and it's so beneficial to have a place to vent, so vent away!!

Recently my car broke down, leaving me and my dog stranded in the 100+ degree heat.

I was sold and then charged to install a defective part! In addition, I had to get a hotel room to have a place to stay while this work was being done!

Do you suppose the same thing would have happened to a man? Or, they saw me, 5 foot 2 and small (with a little dog) who was desperate to get home and thought SUCKER!!!

I was so angry and then had to pay to have my car repaired yet again!

Ugh!!! #*@!**
  • Well jim i though about the same thing many times, How people come back from war and lose a leg and cant understand how its posible they can still manage,

Is it posible even having the loss of the leg is less painfull then some of the spine related issues we suffer from? These people seem to manage being injured in a war and all i did was go under the knife and i feel i am more damaged then some that fought for this country,

I tell this to my dr all the time, I could understand if i got shot up in war and ended up like this but not by the hands of a dr doing an adr procedure, I just cant wrap my brain around it,

You see some people with many levels fused and they were either in a crash or got blown up and some are doing beter then some of us here, How is this posible?

Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • In the blink of an eye things can change and in the time span of 20 years you can still be in so much pain. The worst part for me is the frustration of not hiring someone but someone who is totally incompetent after doing all my own work and doing it the way I know or want it done. Then I look at myself and say heh, you are doing better than so many. In the midst of acute or severe pain it can be hard to feel so lucky. Also I can't imagine having been in war as in my time most women didn't join except in nursing. But to have fought for your country and proud that you did vs a stupid accident does that make the difference? I'm sure on the outside they feel proud but are hurting and trying to "stand tall." Just watching someone getting old and sick lets you see how you can lose one day at a time til there is little left. I guess you just gotta try at least to enjoy the better days and fix what you can. And hang with those that understand!

Gracie

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    People who understand. If I were a war hero and this happened, at least I could stand tall and get respect.
    But I'm just some schmuck who got hurt doing a job, that like tony I did well and loved. I remember my grandfather telling me that any job worth doing, is a job worth doing well, OR NOT AT ALL!
    And it KILLS me to have to hire out work that I'm perfectly capable of doing well. Well let's say, I was perfectly capable. When you lose your pride. You lose a big part of your life and who you are.
    Now it's a job just trying to get through the day!
    Thanks for letting me whine and letting me listen to you whine. :''(
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Just someone that has to know their limitations and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Believe me, we all " get it". Go easy on yourself. I am sure there are many other things that you do and do well! Maybe, try to pursue those other hidden talents!
    Natalie
  • advertisement
  • Just someone that has to know their limitations and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Believe me, we all " get it". Go easy on yourself. I am sure there are many other things that you do and do well! Maybe, try to pursue those other hidden talents!
    Natalie
  • Jim,
    Knowing where your limitations are is a strength and something that others may not have the privilege of understanding. In reality some things we can no longer do we have now developed additional skill and competence, we know and understand how hard it is to maintain a positive attitude over time.

As some may know, my own son has no feet, which my avatar relates and we do have the right to complain in a measured and finite duration. I as many here have had constant pain for 20 years now and it is hard, many things I can no longer do although I still have the skills rather than functionality, I now give and listen more find time for others. Seeking help from others is managing yourself more effectively.

We all now benefit from your help comments and support Jim, I too am very practical and things just take longer or as you I have to get someone to do it.

John

• i totally agree with you i am an electrical engineer and i have worked on some massive projects and i have been educated to decent standard and i {when i worked} worked to the best of my ability and even if i say it myself i was very good ! ..so now if i need something going like the shower we had put in the other month i have to get a man in !! that's when the problems start no one works like i use to do .the standard of work these days is crap .i fired the first lot of plumbers and the second lot were not much better ..i could have done a miles better job if i was capable of working {its so annoying }.even when we had the extension i had to get an electrician in!! that's hurt...i have always been good with my hands a very good DIY person .and when i see so called professionals i cringe.. no body seems to take a pride anymore .when i worked with the guy who taught me how to be an electrical engineer he made me do stuff the right way and second best would not do it was the right way ..or the highway!! but he made learning fun its a shame i can't work anymore i enjoyed its and i got a sense of pride from looking at what i or we had done in a day simple things like flicking a switch on and seeing a warehouse light up with the new lights that i had installed ,very rewarding if you know what i mean .so yes i know how you feel
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I hate also to have to hire anyone for any kind of work, I always worked on my own car and remodeled homes for a living, Even financialy who can afford to hire someone to make repairs around the house and fix the car all the time, i know i cant,

I keep trying to get things done between pain but hell, its like i am working backwards,

This pain would be so much easier at least if we were all rich and just hire everything out with chronic pain,
    I use to love working around the house now i hate this house all together,

Give me a condo in florida with the old people so i can just sit back and suffer lol

Every year its geting harder and harder to keep up the house and yard, i feel like a criple on crack stumbling around trying to get something done,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • OMG its not funny but it made me laugh. i use to say that all the time before spinney days.
    your knot alone Jim.
    i was a heavy equip mechanic,along with a few other things and ya now changing a tire now kills me,having someone change the oil in my car,tune up,brakes, are you kidding some idiot doing the brakes on my wife's car??-thinking about it can take you to a really dark place.
    Jim nice to see you back on hear(not why you are) and tony just reading your post helps me keep my head on straight. complaining,whining this is a good place to do it lets us see that we are not alone and it gives me something to do at 2am and maybe something to laugh, or cry about (O ya men don't cry)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.