Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Four weeks post op today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Doing okay but haven't had a chance to walk outside because of the snow and ice so I went and used the treadmill yesterday and when I was done my neck hurt like heck-doesn't hurt when I walk outside.

I'm also confused as to why I have to wear this collar for 12 weeks. I've been reading up on the subject and they say that the instrumentation they use to fuse the neck pretty much eliminates the need for a collar. Wearing this collar makes my neck even more painful. The thought of having to wear it for 8 more weeks is depressing.

I miss my life. It's been one year of hell and that's because some idiot was late and in a hurry to get to where he was going and rear ended us as a result. No amount of money is EVER going to give me back that year or take away the memory of all the pain and suffering I went through and and the depression I have now. The thought of 3 or 4 months of physical therapy after I get out of the collar isn't making me any happier but I'm going to make sure I don't have the same PT that I had last time because all she did was make it worse. I feel so useless-can't do anything I use to be able to do before the accident like sewing. And I've developed a fear of driving in the car-even as a passenger.


  • I'm not exactly sure why a treadmill would feel different than walking outside but my guess is that your posture is slightly different on the treadmill. Especially if you've got your arms up to hold the handles. You may also walk with a bit more impact on a treadmill than on the ground. You might want to try an eliptical if you have one available to you.

    I didn't have a collar with my 1 level ACDF. The girl I shared a room with the morning after surgery had the same surgeon, a 2 level ACDF and also no collar. She was quite angry about that and insisted that he get her one. Now that I think of it, she was just angry at everything.

    But each doctor has a reason for his collar/no collar theory so without know his reasoning, you should probably stick to it until you can approach him directly with the question.

    Try not to worry about the past, there's nothing you can do about it. By dwelling on it you'll only make yourself feel worse, not the guy who caused the accident. I know, easier said than done. But moving forward, concentrating on your recovery is what will make you better. I wish you the best and hopefully you will recover to a level of "normal" where you can forget (to some degree) that this ever happened.

    Take care.
  • I'm going to call the NS tomorrow and ask if it's okay to use a treadmill.

    As for the past I have retained an attorney so the past is going to be with me for some while because I have to write a victim's impact statement for the attorney when the medical treatment is done. But I am going to try to stop dwelling on it because having a negative attitude won't help my healing process. Easier said than done though when you have no support system.

    Your room mate sounded like a pip. My room was right next to the nurses station and I got no sleep the whole night because all they did was chat about personal stuff and no one bothered to close the door-I couldn't get up because i had a foley in me the whole night which upset the PA when she came in the next morning. She expected me to be up and walking around but it was like they forgot about me. My bed was right next to the window and it was cold so I asked them to turn the heat up. Some CNA came in later and turned it down because he thought it was too hot but he quickly turned it back up after I told him I was cold.

    The second night they gave me a room mate-one with sleep apnea and all she did was snore. I had to go out and get earplugs. I was never so happy to leave a place the next day.
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.