Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck and shoulder pain after acdf

Comments

• dgkddgk Posts: 1
    edited 06/24/2014 - 5:58 AM
    I had ACDF on C5,6 and C6,7 Jan 30th 2014. Left shoulder pain was always my major complaint. I have daily pain with no relief after surgery. Surgeon keeps telling me it can take up to a year before you know what you have to live with. In late April I asked the surgeon, do you think I could have a different problem with my shoulder? His said I could see a orthopedic doctor on that. So I found a orthopedic group and a xray was taken in the office and a Calcium deposit was shown in the xray. Diagnosis being Calcific Tendonitis. I received a cortisone shot in that area with no lasting result, physical therapy did not help, pain was getting worse with any usage of my arm. I am scheduled for arthroscopic surgery in 3 weeks. Will update after surgery. Long story short. If you have painful shoulder, ask for an xray of your shoulder. Simple/stupid.
  • https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-faq

unfortunately, the symptoms could be related or unrelated to your spine condition. or they could be combined/mixed up together, and you may not notice improvement in symptoms that are unrelated, which is where you are......that doesn't necessarily mean that the surgery for your cervical problems was unnecessary but the problem with your shoulder may have been masked by the cervical issues.
    at least now, you are getting it treated.......hopefully, once you are done, the shoulder pain will disappear and you will be back to your old self.
  • advertisement
  • Having c5 c6 on right side on left side c6 c7 and doing c7 and t1.really verity scared please give me anything u know the good bad and ugly! At this time in the worst pain ever on meds getting me just barely by till surgey, so far 3 hours or more on how long it will take but I am getting so much done going in through throat area, how Lon did u guys stay in hospital think they said me - 2-5 days just depends , everyone is different.
    Tamara Cullop
  • Bamagal26092609BBamagal26092609 Posts: 5
    edited 07/06/2014 - 5:03 PM
    Can anyone see my text just let me know I am doing this right ?
    Tamara Cullop
  • I see it.
    Angi
  • advertisement
  • Thank u atleast I know I am doing rite just haven't got any comments back, thanks!
    Tamara Cullop
  • Reason I ask is you said right side on one level and left side on another. I had a 3 level, c4-7 ACDF in January. They used cadaver bone and a plate with 8 screws. My surgery was first thing in the morning, it lasted just short of 4 hours and was in recovery less than an hour. I stayed in the hospital only overnight and did okay at home sleeping in a recliner until I got the brace off at 3 months. after 6 weeks I was allowed to drive without the brace but had to wear it when I got to work so I was only out of work the initial six weeks.
    I still have significant muscle and neck pain, some as bad as before surgery, but the numbness in my hands and the pain in my arms is gone.
    Good luck on your surgery, Sandi gave you links to a lot of good information.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Hi all I'm 14wks post op two level acdf 4-6. All was going well up to wk 11 walking , exercise bike and stretchy bands.
    Went back to work overdid it and now wk 14 loads of problems. Numbness after lifting doesn't arm to little fingers, which then spreads across back and down other arm. This can be relieved with Physio massage. Also pain either side of spine in shoulder blade area brought on shoulder rotation and stretching. This worries me most but can go away completely.
    Physio says rest for a few wks and try not to activate pain.
    Any advice welcome, taking 10mg amitriptyline / night codeine and paracetamol in day and trams doll at night.
  • When are you supposed to return to see your surgeon? You may want to schedule an appointment to let him check you out to make sure that nothing else is going on.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.