Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve pain "vanishing" and then returning after surgery?

Comments

• Trade ? No way , Got 6 wives and 14 kids to feed , How you think i ended up with 14 kids ? On a trade !
    Or was number 9 when i had a relapse 3rd day out of rehab, cant remember.

Ps. I advise you and your girlfriend not get too worked up over Mr sexy as he is married to Mr not so sexy !
    Git-er-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 10/03/2012 - 2:45 AM
    crack me up!
    And thank u for that. We shure need it amongst all this nerve bull crap...

Michelle, I am too struggling with hellish nerve pain after surgery. I am 5 months out! Had an ACDF 2 levels beginning of May and like u, I went in with nerve pain and weakness, woke up with it all gone! It was a miracle: pain gone, numbness gone and arm strong as ever. Before surgery I could hardly lift my coffee cup.
    At 8 weeks out I had a severe nerve pain case for a couple of days but it vanished and everything fine again.
    Started PT at 12 weeks and was getting severe flares. Had to quit since I just got worse as we progressed.
    The surgeon advised me to and said I was pobably not ready for it.

3 weeks ago my nerve symptoms in my shoulder and left arm was slowly creeping up on me again. I tried to ignore it. Then 2 weeks ago, bam, full nerve attack.
    Arm weak again, that hellish burning, raging, stabbing, stinging pain that make u go nuts.
    Contacted the surgeon, and he's not worried.
    He says that it can take a loooong time for damaged nerves to heal and that its not unusual that they flare aggressively like this during recovery. The flares will come and go. He advised me to seek out my pain clinic and they adjusted my meds as well as gave me an epidural. It has helped somewhat and Im going in for a second epidural in 2 weeks.

I dont know what to think at this point. Is the surgeon telling me this becauses it is too early to tell if the nerve has healed properly? Hopefully!
    But like you, I had radiculopathy for a long time before surgery (2 years). i know there's a risk that there might be the possibility of permanent damage to a certain extent. The surgeon said the damage was far worse then they thought when they opened me up.

You are 11 weeks out, which is very early in recovery! At that point it is still tissue swelling and stifness in the area that might prevent blood flow and constrict your nerves, among other things.

I still hope that my symptoms will pass with time, but 5 months feel like a long time for things to heal?
    I really dont know about my situation, but at 11 weeks you are so early!

I hope you get some relief from your injections and meds, let us know how you do.

Best wishes,
    Vic
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • advertisement
  • I'm so sorry that you are still having nerve pain flares, but very glad to know I am not alone and what I'm experiencing is normal. I just had a Caudal Epidural injection Monday, and I swear it sent my nerves into overdrive instead of calming them down. It feels like somebody is poking my hip with a cattle prod and I have this electrical shock running down my legs. I can just visualize my nerves in my body, as the steroid is injected in, sitting up and saying "Oh, HELL NO! We've been through enough. Take this (ZAP)! And THAT (ZAP)! Hahaha!" I can picture electrical impulses shooting down my legs.

Hopefully very soon we will both be pain free and all of this will be a distant memory. Best wishes!
    Michelle
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)
  • ...when you have injections and the nerves get pissed :(.
    Yes, hopefully this will be something we can look back upon in a year or so and say: remember during the first year after surgery how worried we were about not healing properly, but we were!
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • ...the injection site is red and burns. Neat-o. When did you say this would be a distant memory? Lol.
    Michelle
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)
  • advertisement
  • Mbollard In Feb this year I underwent instrumental fusion l4-s1 due to a stress fracture and slipped disc.
    The road to recovery has been long and extremely painful but I was glad the sciatic pain in my left leg had disappeared. I started work on a part-time basis this week and the sciatic pain has come back. I'm petrified something is seriously wrong, my recovery after surgery was horrific and I can't go through that again. My GP suggested I see the neurosurgeon ASAP.
    Please has anyone experienced this, is it normal. Was the pain always there but the drugs i was on masked it. Sometimes the pain in my heel and back of knee is so bad it feels like my leg is going to drop off. As my back pain is continuous I can only say pain started with leg pain.

advertisement