Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

been asked over and over...

I know this is probably been asked a 100 times but how bad are the physical limitation after a 360 spinal fusion? Can you run, swim do yoga? Can you skydive, bungee jump, rock climb like do really adventurous activities. And what happens if you fall or roll on the floor (like when your playing with kids). This is what's keeping me from having the fusion the most, I'm so young and I plan on traveling and doing very physical activists while doing so, the point if this is to help me be more active not stop me from doing the things I wanna do with my life.
be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ••• Dr. Seuss
advertisement

Comments

• KeeweeKKeewee Posts: 91
    edited 02/06/2013 - 10:20 AM
    If the thought of limitations are stopping you from having surgery more than the pain or disability making you need surgery then perhaps you don't need it yet?
    Look at it this way - can you skydive in you current condition ?

Skydiving is unlikely to be am option after a 360 neither are anything that requires you to have a strong spine, however if you a pain free surely that sacrifice is worth it?

I'm 7 weeks post op and can roll on the floor with my kids ;0)
    Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • If you are able to do those things now, then you surely should NOT be considering surgery. Usually (not always) people live a much better life after surgery because their "presurgery" life had been so diminished. I can play with my kids and shocked to discover I can still do some (limited) yoga... but skydive, rock climb, bungee jump.... nope. I'm just 32, and before the surgery I wasn't able to play with my kids much....
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • I'm also 32 and it hurt to hold hands with my kids! I was in agony before surgery. So much so I wasn't even frightened on the day I had it done. I literally smiled when they put me asleep!!
    Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects