Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back freezing up

kambriellekkambrielle Posts: 5
edited 05/10/2013 - 6:35 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone,

So, I know that posting in a forum does not replace going to a doctor, but I thought I'd give it a stab.

I ride horses once a week. In January, I went snowboarding while on a trip and took some spills. In February, I fell off a horse and got a concussion, first landing on my hip/butt and then hitting my head on the ground.

Before the concussion, I was starting to have lower back pain while riding. Before January, it was there, but it was more discomfort and weakness. After January, it started to get crampy and painful. In the past month, it's gotten very, very bad. It's to the point where it hurts to walk and I can't do any cardio at the gym right now.

Basically, what happens is, I walk for a while, and suddenly my lower back starts literally cramping and freezing up. It feels very tight and painful, and like I have no range of motion in my pelvis. The only thing that makes it feel better is sitting down and doing some bend-over stretches.

It's really getting in the way of living my life, and getting very frustrating.

Things I've noticed:

1. My hamstrings and my gluteus get extremely tight when this cramping thing is happening. They start to feel weak, tired, and tight.
2. I have some very tender points in my mid-back on either side of my spine. They cramp up when I'm riding, and sometimes when I'm walking. Don't know if this is leading to this as well.
3. I have always had quite an arched lower back. I blame it on doing ballet for years, sticking my butt out and my hips forward. It's the ballet way.
4. If I try to do hamstring stretches, my hamstrings are very, very tight. When I just do a forward fold, my lower back is extremely tight, and sometimes my hamstrings. When I do a forward fold crossing one leg over the other, my hamstrings are extremely tight and painful.
5. There is a pinchy feeling in my right gluteal/lower back area, and sometimes it does travel down my leg. I know this is a common symptom of sciatica...But I have never been tested for that. Maybe I should be?

So I'm not sure what could be doing this. I have a feeling it has something to do with falling while snowboarding, then falling shortly thereafter off a horse onto a hard surface.

I've already talked to my doctor, and he suggested physiotherapy. I started seeing a physiotherapist, and frankly, I'm not sure he knows what he's doing or what's going on. My chiropractor...well, he uses this machine that kind of vibrates parts of your back, and I've found it actually works for maintenance, but for something like this, it's not doing diddly. So I'm seeing a new chiropractor on Monday for a second opinion. My friend recommended him.

I'm wondering if I should go back to my doctor and ask for X-rays. I have a lot of symptoms that match a few things, like degenerative disc disease but also spondylolisthesis.

Any ideas of where I should go from here? I'm eager to get this straightened out, literally. ;)

Thanks all!
advertisement

Comments

• Colin68CColin68 Posts: 7
    edited 05/11/2013 - 4:07 AM
    kambrielle said:
    Hi everyone,

So, I know that posting in a forum does not replace going to a doctor, but I thought I'd give it a stab.

I ride horses once a week. In January, I went snowboarding while on a trip and took some spills. In February, I fell off a horse and got a concussion, first landing on my hip/butt and then hitting my head on the ground.

Before the concussion, I was starting to have lower back pain while riding. Before January, it was there, but it was more discomfort and weakness. After January, it started to get crampy and painful. In the past month, it's gotten very, very bad. It's to the point where it hurts to walk and I can't do any cardio at the gym right now.

Basically, what happens is, I walk for a while, and suddenly my lower back starts literally cramping and freezing up. It feels very tight and painful, and like I have no range of motion in my pelvis. The only thing that makes it feel better is sitting down and doing some bend-over stretches.

It's really getting in the way of living my life, and getting very frustrating.

Things I've noticed:

1. My hamstrings and my gluteus get extremely tight when this cramping thing is happening. They start to feel weak, tired, and tight.
    2. I have some very tender points in my mid-back on either side of my spine. They cramp up when I'm riding, and sometimes when I'm walking. Don't know if this is leading to this as well.
    3. I have always had quite an arched lower back. I blame it on doing ballet for years, sticking my butt out and my hips forward. It's the ballet way.
    4. If I try to do hamstring stretches, my hamstrings are very, very tight. When I just do a forward fold, my lower back is extremely tight, and sometimes my hamstrings. When I do a forward fold crossing one leg over the other, my hamstrings are extremely tight and painful.
    5. There is a pinchy feeling in my right gluteal/lower back area, and sometimes it does travel down my leg. I know this is a common symptom of sciatica...But I have never been tested for that. Maybe I should be?

So I'm not sure what could be doing this. I have a feeling it has something to do with falling while snowboarding, then falling shortly thereafter off a horse onto a hard surface.

I've already talked to my doctor, and he suggested physiotherapy. I started seeing a physiotherapist, and frankly, I'm not sure he knows what he's doing or what's going on. My chiropractor...well, he uses this machine that kind of vibrates parts of your back, and I've found it actually works for maintenance, but for something like this, it's not doing diddly. So I'm seeing a new chiropractor on Monday for a second opinion. My friend recommended him.

I'm wondering if I should go back to my doctor and ask for X-rays. I have a lot of symptoms that match a few things, like degenerative disc disease but also spondylolisthesis.

Any ideas of where I should go from here? I'm eager to get this straightened out, literally. ;)

Thanks all!
    I'm no expert but you won't find much out from x-rays I don't think? Unless you maybe sustained a small fracture? You'd need an MRI scan to detect any disc herniation etc.
    If you are like me, you'll be waiting forever to get one done on the NHS. I went privately recently and will know the results next week.
    It sounds wise to get this investigated as soon as you can if the symptoms are worsening.
  • I think it depends on what kind of problem it would end up being, but I wonder if X-Rays would be a good idea just to rule out anything like a vertebra being out of place or something...
  • advertisement
  • Colin68 said:

If you are like me, you'll be waiting forever to get one done on the NHS. I went privately recently and will know the results next week.
    It sounds wise to get this investigated as soon as you can if the symptoms are worsening.
    Where are you? I'm in Canada...It can take a few months here, too...
  • Hi Kambrielle, and welcome to Spine Health!

I have to say, I agree with Colin, simply because the symptoms you describe are consistent with Sciatica nerve pain, as if you have lumbar disc pinching. X-rays won't show this, and a MRI scan will.

I can understand the love of horseback riding, because my step-daughter loved doing it some years ago--of course the bouncing up and down would definitely aggravate this, not to mention the hurt of taking the spills that you have as well.

I would honestly get the MRI as soon as you can, it will show more and get you headed in the right direction.

I'm not a doctor, by any means--just another spine patient that has unfortunately "been there and done that."

Charlie
  • kambrielle said:
    Colin68 said:

Leicester in England...
    Where are you? I'm in Canada...It can take a few months here, too...
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.