Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I'm here again

Comments

• The neurologist said that he does not believe there is any nerve damage. He said that it's a difficult decision as to surgery. He definately sees severe canal and foraminal stenosis from c4-t2. I am speaking to my surgeon on Tuesday. He was reading my surgeon notes a little outloud and the notes read "I believe patient needs posterior stabilization..." then he stopped. I said, "what does it say?" he wouldn't repeat it. He just told me to talk to my surgeon. THE PLOT THICKENS.
    - Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    Please do keep us informed as this is a huge decision
    to make having to have another surgery. I recently had a
    posterior cervical surgery with rods for stabilization 10 days
    ago and it is a big surgery, your surgeon will discuss with you
    what is best for your particular situation.

Good luck on Tuesday.
    Susabell
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • advertisement
  • How many levels?
    - Vin

edited 08/17/2013 - 7:24 PM
    Sorry 3 levels
  • VinGVVinG Posts: 56
    edited 08/18/2013 - 6:50 AM
    that I will decide not to have more surgery and then it will be too late.
    - Vin

• advertisement
  • VinGVVinG Posts: 56
    edited 08/22/2013 - 2:08 PM
    So I spoke with my surgeon yesterday and he is recommending more surgery. It will be posterior surgery, fusing c4/c5 and c7/t1. So, essentially my neck will be fused from c3 to t1. He also said that he would work on other areas that need to be "cleaned up".

Is there anyone on this board who has been fused to this extent c3-t1? He said that I will be able to turn my head from side to side, but my up and down may be limited.

I am very depressed and concerned about this. My wife and I are going to meet with him on September 11th to talk about it in more detail.

- Vin

I understand your concern & depression.
    My posterior was only 3 levels c4-c7. However I was
    Just like you depressed. I am feeling much better and it's only
    been 15 days. Hopefully someone will come along with more
    levels and they will be able to offer more info.

My neck also had a abnormal curve and the rods are going to
    help with that issue.

Please keep us updated. No one ever wants Surgery and I'm sorry to hear
    this and I was so upset when I heard I needed a posterior, but my quality of
    life is going to be so much better. I was in so much pain Prior to the posterior
    I was pale and to sick to do anything. It was the best choice I made to have the
    Surgery. My new Surgeon is easy to talk with and I will stay with him until he retires.
    Hopefully I will not need anymore surgery, at least I've found a Great Surgeon who
    works at a teaching facility, and will answer all my questions.

Take care,
    Susie

• I can imagine that it must feel very daunting to be in a position where you are facing more surgery on your neck.

I hope that your appointment on 11th September with your surgeon will give you hope that he will be able to get you to a better position where your pain will be reduced and you will be able to live your life. Please do let us know how you get on.

• ...posterior fusion, c4/5, c7/T1.

I met with surgeon this week. He did say that surgery was not mandatory like the 1st (cord compressed), but if I wanted the pain to go away it was. Pain "could go away by itself eventualy" because I am already beginning to fuse on own, but no decompression.

Not sure how to feel about this.
    - Vin

From my experience I would do the surgery because waiting can possibly cause more nerve damage, which normally can not be repaired. I just feel that having the surgery would give you a better quality of life for farther down the road if you don't do the surgery now. I have a friend that had a lumbar fusion on it's own and in the process the over growth from that compressed a nerve root causing additional surgery anyway.

I recently had a 3 level posterior surgery, the reason for the surgery was my first acdf surgery failed at 2 levels do to the surgeon using Off Lable Products I was NOT aware of. I would also make sure that If you go with the posterior surgery that you speak with the surgeon and make sure that no Off Lable products be used and to stay with the Golden Standard.

Good Luck with your Decision as this is a big surgery. For me it was about Quailty of life, I was in Constant Agonizinf Deep pain Every Day for over 3 years, it has only been 5 weeks and I already am feeling much better, I do not have the Micro Movement Pain, I have Surgery Pain.

Please keep us Updated.
    Susabell
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.