Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

foot drop

Comments

• My thoughts are that you should push for tests to determine the reasons for the foot drop. Push to see a neurologist, push to have a full spinal mri, you need to know, and it can be a sign of other conditions ie MS.... so you really need to know why first...
  • Cannot really say if it gets better or not.. I had L5-s1 surgery in april 2012 and experienced an automatic insane problem to the surgery which has now been diagnosed as RSD, CRPS and "Foot drop" - which is kind of odd.. I can move my ankle, but cannot walk the way I used to - feels like I am walking on a baseball.. It appears that the peroneal nerve is damaged (from s1 on the left side) I now have an AFO brace (very clunky) - this was something I had to research myself (!) and it is hard to get it into boots - cold feet now that the weather here has changed. This has been over a year and a half, and there was NOTHING from the surgeon in the beginning - HE kept saying it would get stronger. What a crock. Sorry, but angry and annoyed. The person who suggested it as foot drop was finally my PT and my pain mgmt. doc. Pain Mgmt keeps suggesting a spine stim to which I keep saying no. I have read about nerve transfer surgery but they aren't doing it in NY *(that I know of)* and have only seen info on that in Texas. I just read about exterior RFD stimulators, but I don't know if they work.. I know this is horrible (for me) as I used to love to walk, run, etc., and thought that the back surgery would assist. I didn't think, (yes, poor me) that this would happen to me.. :-( TRUE > With the nerve damage and entrapment left too long the nerve I guess basically dies off and neuropathy sets in. < My neuro pain was an instant issue from my surgery in the night in recovery and no one did anything for me. 12 hours in agony. I cannot feel the bottom of my foot ,and have tripped/ fallen more than once.. once, two weeks after surgery. The volume of pain dialed down in the past year, but not all the time.. it comes and goes with a vengeance at times. burning. stabbing, electrical, you name it.. I do not believe there are quick cures.. there's PT, which is a necessity to keep muscles working, even if nerves are not.. I try to do what I can. the brace helps, but it is too heavy to keep on all day and night. I usually take it off when I get home. This whole path of pre surgery, post surgery, and this past year, quite an experience.. quite.. I wish you all the best.. and hope you all heal FAST..
    morphia1957
  • advertisement
  • my films / mri's do not show anything as "trapped"... I saw a whole new crew of doctors after my surgery... the only thing that they wanted to do was a myelogram, which I did not want to do (too many risks, too much fear) too many doctors.. they said that it was probably due to a bleed on the nerve post surgery (*while in recovery*) and that damages the nerve to the point, of potential, NO return.. I have been told, sorry this happened, but... there are risks. I do not consider this a successful surgery and I do think of my surgeon as a real tool. ( yes, a NYC top of the line doc) He yelled at me and berated me 3 weeks after my surgery for not being able to stand on my TOES and blamed the whole thing on the blood clots ! (yes, I had those too..) Been a very tough year + for me.. Is there a legal recourse? No. One thing I will tell EVERYONE here, is that, the back surgery cost me way more than I ever expected, in extra costs, extra doc visits, lost work time, (6 weeks out) my back is strong enough now for me to do things I used to do, but I will never be able to dance again. that makes me super sad..
    morphia1957
  • MartzmomMMartzmom Posts: 1
    edited 02/19/2015 - 4:18 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I had a T12 Burst fracture in Dec 2013. I was left with a foot drop on my left foot. I trip and fall a great deal on a daily basis. I have an AFO that I wear. However, the nerve pain makes wearing the AFO extremely difficult. I use a TENS unit a lot to help ease the pain. Does anyone know if surgery may help me? I don't have insurance and my PT acts as my primary. Should I push him for more answers? I feel constant pins and needles even with a high dose of meds. I take NO pain pills.

It seems everyone here has been through a lot. The only thing I can say to everyone is All You Got, All The Time! That's how I got out of my hospital bed, and how I deal with this foot drop on a daily basis.
    Martz Mom
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I am having a "poor me" night but after reading this thread I just went to test my "foot drop" which was really bad in September. I'd since had several injections which I felt were "useless" but, for now, my foot drop doesn't seem to be an issue! I can stand on tiptoes on both legs!
    I just keep getting more and more news that "there's not much that can be done" I'm happy with the little things! I know it's temporary because the foot drop always comes back but, for right now, I can pretend to be a prima ballerina for a few minutes. I have to celebrate the little things!
    Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • advertisement
advertisement