Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I used acupuncture, have been a non-smoker since June of 2011

Hi All,

I had tried all of the stop smoking aids available, except the gum. I didn't want to pay big dollars to find out it stuck to my dental work. I used lozenges, zyban (This did work the 1st time, however, if you try this DO NOT quit the zyban as soon as you're smoke free, use it for at least a month after you've been smoke free for 2 weeks. So, at least 6 weeks total after your last cig, at the very least.) I used chantix but got a really weird feeling going on in my mood so I stopped that, have tried cold turkery more than once, I've used the patches, but up to June of 2011, I had not tried acupuncture.

My girlfriend informed me one day that she had been a smoker years back and had used acupuncture to quit. The first session I went to, was with an M.D. that used acupuncture just to stop smoking. Needles were placed by each wrist and my ear. Then he attached the wrist needles to a small machine I'd equate to a TENS machine. He turned that on, and would slowly bump that up to where I could feel it, but it was not uncomfortable at all. Then I just hung out there chatting with him and my gf, for about 20 minutes.

He had explained to me that usually people did a few sessions, and that it was totally up to me how many I decided on as the weeks went along. I did two more sessions one week apart from the first session, and then one about 3 weeks after the third session. That was it. I DO recommend that before you try to quit in any way, that you come up with and put into action! a way to deal with stress. If you don't choose it, it will choose you, which is why people often gain weight. So, if you find a way to deal with stress for 2 types of situations. The first, for times when you cannot go take a walk let's say. Work, church, bay is sleeping, whatever. It can be gum, meditation, straws whatever. Then, choose one like taking a walk, for times when you can get up and change your focus, and go around the block. They don't have to be long walks at all. Remember that.

I NEVER from the first session, had a craving for a cigarette!! But, I did not realize either that I was using food for boredom or stress, instead of my old cigarettes.

The whole experience was wonderful, except that I did not find a stress reliever BEFORE I quit. I say before because if you've been doing this new technique for at least 2 weeks, you'll find it much easier to go to that, than a snack. I actually believe this is the WHOLE reason why anyone gains weight after quitting. So, set it up before hand because the acupuncture works like a dream. At least it did for me.

I was lucky enough to have a friend that knew someone trained in this, and he never charged a nickel. I did get to take him to lunch, probably after that last session. But believe me, no matter what they charge, you're spending it in cigarettes already!!

Even today, 2 of my siblings still smoke ( I sent the third to that doc, she's now a non-smoker) and if I smell a cigarette, it smells wonderful to me, but it does NOT make me want one at all!! My brother was up just a few days ago and I stood next to him as he grilled steaks, just to have a "second hand cigarette". Yes, I know, but this opportunity comes along very rarely, so I am not worried about it's effects. Good grief, when I was young I bar tended in the nightclubs so I got more than my fill of secondhand smoke that had a lot of oppportunity to do damage, along with my own habit.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about this experience, just send me a pm.

Happy that I am at least a non-smoker now. Now let's see if we can't get me out of decade long back pain. That has done more damage to myself, and my life than anything ever has. I am sure there are many of you that can also say it's destroyed my career, my self esteem, my marriage, and anything else that ever made me feel good about myself.

I have tried acupuncture for pain, and it was also successful, however, I was able then to go twice a week. I went from 100mcg fentanyl patches to 12mcg patches. Once we started weaning me off, it went wonderfully without withdrawal, and without pain.
Then I was forced to stop the acupuncture because of expenses, or so I was told by my spouse. IT did work like a charm for the back pain WOW! But for me, I would have had to keep up with the sessions to find lasting relief. It was about a month after that I could not stand not being able to go, and I went back, but then, the acupuncturist started pushing all of these supplements and foods on me that I simply could not afford. It got to the point where I no longer felt good about myself and how far I had come to that point. I did find a different acupuncturist, but I can only afford this one, once a week, and it just is not enough. At this time in my life too, there are added stressors, like a divorce in progress, wondering about how I will afford to live, IF I'll be able to have ANY health insurance, all that. I am not able to make any plans for the future because I have no idea what kind of income I'll end up with. But that's a whole other forum topic lol.

If you want to quit, acupuncture may be the dream you're looking for. No cravings, no pain, and compared to cigs, incredibly affordable too.
Good Luck! Holler if you have any questions on my experience with it.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.