Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fusion tomorrow - Topic Shutdown

Comments

• Ok they had to cath and enema me. Then I went. Now I'm home and this back brace is wildly
    Uncomfortable to wear. They have me on still softeners, oxy IR(15 mg) every four hours. How was you guys first day at home? Obviously this is new to me so I'm curious what I there's went through
    Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    might be the toughest, but it gets easier and easier each day
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • CapsdadCapsdad Posts: 92
    edited 03/10/2014 - 12:14 PM
    Thank you. Oh and work como wouldn't approve my meds today so I'm sitting at home with none till they decide to approve
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • I used a walker for 3 weeks post op. Do you have a walker?
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Yes I have a walker for the house. Laying in bed isn't comfy either. So it seems like most people are saying to walk around a few times a day or be in the recliner without my brace?
  • advertisement
  • Every surgeon is different and I know mine went over what he wanted me to do when he discharged me. Personally in the beginning I only wore the brace when I was up and about. I didn't wear it when sitting down because it put too much pressure on my incisions. I absolutely credit walking for how fast I recovered.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 03/10/2014 - 3:27 PM
    I had cervical surgery so it was a little different. My first days home were spent mostly in a recliner or in bed. I wore my brace ALL the time. Slept in it even had a special one to shower in. I could only sleep a few hours at a time but it didn't matter because I was tired all the time from the meds. I also kept a journal of when I took meds,how I felt, pain scale and any questions or concerns so I could ask nurse that came daily and doctor who I saw after one week. I was very afraid to move and was afraid to take meds at all. I was really resistant until nurse told me I could do more harm by touching it out.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    did you not check into the situation about medication before you were suppose to come home after surgery!
    You went from 5 perocets and 3 valiums to just calm you down in the hospital and now you have NO pain medications at home!
    You were in almost uncontrollable pain in the hospital while medicated and now while home without any medications you are able to post here. I think your higher priority would be in working things out in terms of your medications .
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I am correct in assuming you have had ALIF ? if so this is a massive operation and it has a very long recovery .I had mine 2 years ago and I have been left with many problems .like permanent nerve damage down my right leg both legs have altered sensation and both feet will swell when I have been bending they swell so much that the skin will break ,in the UK we don't use back braces I was so ill when I had my operation [I have had 3] that they kept me in surgical recovery all night as I was too ill to go back to the spinal ward ,you sound like you have had a rough time too .take if from me its hard work and things will not be the same again regarding your back and what you can and can't do many people think that a fusion or any spinal work is done to remove pain ..WRONG its don't to prevent damage to the spinal cord and to keep the spinal column as intact as possible if there is any pain reduction its a bonus and not a guarantee I am on many pain killers and diazepam and will be for life as my pain will not go its around an 8 all the time but without the oxycontin and oxynorm its a 9.9 and that too much to cope with .I have found my rise and recline recliner and grabber the best tools and we have a walk in floor level large shower that a help as I cannot get in and out of a bath .I also have an electrical adjustable bed but as I only sleep for 2 hours a night it hardly get any use ! .don't get too downhearted about your current condition its very hard to recover from and you will find ways of coping .like washing yourself .I use a footstool and hand rail and grippy mat in the shower ..I can't twist to wash my back or to attend to myself after using the loo ..the shower is handy ..if you know what I mean {it has well positioned body jets ! you will have dark days I suggest when this happens rest and take your painkillers and don't try to figure things out too much ..in other words learn to live with your condition ..that's harder than it sounds .I wish you a decent recovery ..look for ways of helping yourself ..you will want to be as independent as possible there are many adaptations that will help you with your ;;new life ... I will answer any of your question if you would like me to .also be aware that your genital region may not work properly and you may feel like you need to pee and you can't then as soon as you sit down you feel you need to pee again ..if this continues then please seek medical advice .you may also find that you have other problems in that area ..you may also find that your legs give you problems too .I have to wear shorts all the time with no underwear as I can't stand anything on my lower body due to nerve damage I know its a lot to take in but don't be in pain make sure that you are on decent pain medication and keep a good stock in as you wont want to run out if your pain is anything like mine is
    take care
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Jonny ZeroJonny Zero Posts: 69
    edited 03/11/2014 - 4:10 AM
    And I thought I had a tough time when I got home....Wow. I thought it wasn't ever going to get better, but just know that it is going to get better... I'm 2 months post-op and I am a great deal better though I'm not out of the woods yet.... That being said, those words are still etched in my brain -- things are going to get better.... Hold that thought close to your heart.

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME and focus on recovery. Do what your Surgeon tells you to do, get motivated and be strong. It wouldn't hurt to ask for some Ativan to help control your panic attacks / anxiety either.

The Percs are going to put your bowel to sleep, so be prepared.... I take stimulant laxatives once every couple of days instead of the stool softeners; it works so much better for me (Bisacodyl Delayed Release Tabs). Pooping alone is pain and suffering in itself, but not anymore :)

Just remember that it can always be worse my Friend. I'm sure there is someone, somewhere else, suffering even more... That being said, get tough and get through this. I wish you all the best with your recovery process.
    4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.
advertisement