Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fusion tomorrow - Topic Shutdown

advertisement

Comments

• Capsdad - as I was thinking more about this I remember that when my dad had his heart surgery for a while afterwards he was very emotional about everything. Perhaps some of your anxiety may be caused from all the meds in your body. If you haven't had a bowel movement yet, they will probably try a laxative. If it becomes too painful, they may also try an enema. But, they like to stay away from inserting anything into your body unless you really need it. Infection is always a risk with any invasion within the body.

As painful as it is, the more you get up and moving, the better you will feel in the long run. You might want to ask your doctor if they plan to do much rehab with you. It's uncomfortable at first, but the more you do it, the faster you'll be back up and ready to go back to work.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• The first time that they get you up is the worst.
    After that is should get easier each time and you will learn how to do it yourself.

Getting up and walking should help you to be less stiff.
    Try to make sure that you are covered with pain meds when getting up.

It will get easier, honest!

• advertisement
  • Ok they had to cath and enema me. Then I went. Now I'm home and this back brace is wildly
    Uncomfortable to wear. They have me on still softeners, oxy IR(15 mg) every four hours. How was you guys first day at home? Obviously this is new to me so I'm curious what I there's went through
    Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,271
    might be the toughest, but it gets easier and easier each day
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • CapsdadCapsdad Posts: 92
    edited 03/10/2014 - 12:14 PM
    Thank you. Oh and work como wouldn't approve my meds today so I'm sitting at home with none till they decide to approve
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • advertisement
  • I used a walker for 3 weeks post op. Do you have a walker?
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Yes I have a walker for the house. Laying in bed isn't comfy either. So it seems like most people are saying to walk around a few times a day or be in the recliner without my brace?
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 03/10/2014 - 1:57 PM
    about the use of the brace? Were you told to have it on if you were up ? If so, it doesn't matter what other people were told, it matters what your surgeon told you......Check the paperwork or call your surgeon's office on call doctor and ask him specifically what you are supposed to do or not do until you see him.
    Hospitals and the nursing staff go over discharge instructions with every patient before they are sent home. If you can't recall what you were told, look at the papers you were given.
  • Every surgeon is different and I know mine went over what he wanted me to do when he discharged me. Personally in the beginning I only wore the brace when I was up and about. I didn't wear it when sitting down because it put too much pressure on my incisions. I absolutely credit walking for how fast I recovered.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 03/11/2014 - 4:52 AM
    Posted by Capsdad yesterday: (moved to combine three threads into one- multiple threads are not allowed)

Just had my L5-S1 fusion four days ago and got home today. I just wanna see what people did/felt at home. The back brace is very uncomfortable. It really really hurts to lay on my bak in bed. Should I just stay on my side? Right after surgery I had to stay flat on my back for 30 hours cause the sack that holds spinal fluid almost burst so he had to stitch it up. How often are you getting up at home and for how long and what about the pain?
advertisement